Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please HELP...trouble when started moving itunes to external hard drive

I was moving my itunes library to an external hard drive. Somehow, I did something wrong. I was following these steps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

I ended up with an itunes folder in my external hard drive, which ONLY contained items from my previous itunes cloud. However, even though I didn't delete the previous itunes library on my desk top....it would no longer open. It would always open to the new itunes on the external hard drive with a few hundred songs. 20 + Thousand songs are missing, all of my movies, tv shows, playlists, etc.

I did manage to locate them under finder, itunes, & then itunes media. But, I can not access them by clicking the itunes icon on my desk top. Actually, when I click the itunes icon, it will no longer open up. I have no idea what I did and cannot fix it? Plus, I still haven't managed to copy the itunes library to my external hard drive.

Please Help!

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 7:07 PM

15 replies

Nov 11, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Lexiepex

First, thanks so much for the link on trying to solve my problem. The page looks even more detailed than the previous link which I was using to try and move my itunes to an extra hard drive. However, I cannot even open my itunes to try and move it to an external HD.

Any ideas on how to fix that problem? Then, maybe I could go back to moving the entire itunes library.

Thanks again.

Nov 11, 2013 11:15 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks for the responses. It certainly helps a lot, since I obviously did something drastically wrong yesterday when trying to move my itunes to the external HD.

When I clicking on itunes....it still will not open.

When I click on itunes (on desk top) and hit Alt (option) key, it only brings up 3 options: force quit, hide, options (keep in dock, open at login, show in finder).

When I select 'show in finder' - My itunes which was 160 GB yesterday, is now only showing 343.3 MB. That's a lot of stuff missing from itunes.

So, unforunately the previous suggestions on how to fix the problem will not work.

Thanks.

Please HELP...trouble when started moving itunes to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.