Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new MacBook Air a few days ago and want to set up a new icloud/Apple ID to avoid user account corruption

I have several devices and have experienced a lot of pain using sync over icloud starting with an integration of iTunes and exchange a couple years back that caused me to lose all contacts, etc unless I use icloud. What version of the OS is the best right now? How do I start over with my user accounts and id to get away from old accounts? Any helpful tips would be much appreciated

Longtime PC user transitioning to mac - love it more than I hate it so far

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 12:50 AM

I'd say, keep up to date. It should be fine, and if issues occur, they should be able to get solved.

Considering your ID, you can just go to http://appleid.apple.com to create a new Apple ID, which will turn into an iCloud account if you enable iCloud and log in using that new account.

Remember it will be a clean account, you will need an email address you did not use as an Apple ID before, and you won't have your previous purchases etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 12:50 AM in response to Tim Pickering

I'd say, keep up to date. It should be fine, and if issues occur, they should be able to get solved.

Considering your ID, you can just go to http://appleid.apple.com to create a new Apple ID, which will turn into an iCloud account if you enable iCloud and log in using that new account.

Remember it will be a clean account, you will need an email address you did not use as an Apple ID before, and you won't have your previous purchases etc.

Nov 11, 2013 1:26 AM in response to Tim Pickering

You really do not want to create another Apple ID. You can not LINK 2 Apple IDs together so everything you have done or bought with your original Apple ID you can't use with your second Apple ID unless you buy or do it all a second time.

Not sure what you mean by "iCloud started with an integration of iTunes and Exchange"? iTunes and MS Exchange are two totally different things. I agree Apple has fouled up iCloud contacts by making users either keep contacts on Devices, = No Syncing, or in the Cloud, = syncing devices, where other Cloud services like MS Outlook.com/Office 365 or Google accounts just keep a record of your contacts and sync all devices and leave those contacts on each device.

I suggest you stay with your 1 Apple ID for your Apple devices to use the Apple stores, iTunes, "i" device App store and Mac App Store, and switch over to some other service for Email and contact syncing.

I bought a new MacBook Air a few days ago and want to set up a new icloud/Apple ID to avoid user account corruption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.