Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can time machine start preparing for another backup before the prior one ends?

I have a drive that I use for time machine backup that I had in a safety deposit box for a couple of months. I am trying to run time machine using that drive to add the last 2 months of updates to the drive, and understandably it will be a long run because a lot has chenged. So, I clicked on back up now, and it finally completely the "preparing" step and had some 58 gigs to process. So, it started running for several hours and seemed to have processed 3 of the 58 gigs. Then, all or a sudden it's doing a "preparing" step again right then. So I'm wonderiing why it didn't seem to completer the first, large update before it started "preparing" for the next one.. Is it possible that time machine can start preparing for another backup before the prior one ends? If not, what might trigger this....

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 8:25 PM

3 replies

Nov 11, 2013 10:21 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the info. I think my issue has to do with the fact that I didn't do a backup for 2 months, and Time Machine can't readily figure out how to efficiently complete such a backup with no recent backup to build on ...

So, I have wiped my drive clean and started over. Time Machine is running fine but I have 139GB to back up so it will run for a few hours.....

can time machine start preparing for another backup before the prior one ends?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.