Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable versions in Pages '09

I have been using this command to get back Save As... in Mountain Lion and it works great:

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool no

However, this doesn't seem to work anymore in Mavericks. Ut seems that it's just the older iWork '09 apps that can't use the Save As function.

All the other apps (textedit, preview, etc) are able to use Save As. So are the newer iWork apps (the ones just released). But I use the older iWork 09 apps the most. Is there anything I can do to bring the functionality back on those?

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 9:59 PM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2013 1:00 AM in response to fruhulda

I should say I know what I am trying to do is technically possible.

I upgraded a MBP from ML to Mavericks. On that command, the necessary commands to dsiable versions is already made. After the upgrade, everything works as before. When I press cmd+shift+s, it gives me the save as... dialogue. So this is certainly possible in Mavericks.

Nov 12, 2013 2:38 PM in response to mbp20111

I have done some more experimenting, I have found something interesting:

after applying the command, iWork 09 (with nothing else installed) works as expected. versions is disabled and I get the Save As... command back.

However, after I install the iWork 13 apps as well, things go wrong. The Save As... command appears in the iWork 13 apps, but disappear in the iWork 09 apps.

It almost seems like iWork 13 kidnapping the Save As... command from iWork 09.

Now, can someone explain to me how the command works?

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool no

What does this do? Does it modify some .plist or something? If I understand what it does, then I think I may be able to figure out what's going on here,

disable versions in Pages '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.