Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grayed out mobile number in FaceTime

Hi All!

I just encountered an issue with my FaceTime settings, on my phone, my mobile number is grayed out but on my iPad 3, the number was checked.

So far, when some people initiate a FaceTime call, presumably using my mobile number, it goes automatically to my iPad rather than my iPhone. I've missed several FaceTime calls because of this and it's starting to get annoying.

I tried unchecking my mobile number on my iPad in the hopes that I can then select it on my iPhone but saw it didn't work.

Can anyone help me out? The preferred scenario is that both iPhone and iPad can use all the contact points including my mobile number but if I can only select one that can use the phone number, I prefer it to be my phone as that is the iOS device I pretty much always have with me.

For the meantime, I'm leaving the mobile number unchecked for the FaceTime on my iPad in the hopes that the next face time call I get will get routed to my phone.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 7:55 AM

I have just figured out what Apple could not. If you have a GREYED OUT facetime icon and cannot facetime one or more people, here is the FIX I discovered:

Remove that persons email from contacts list that is facetime greyed out and replace email with their ICLOUD APPLE ID. ........Problem SOLVED!!!! The greyed out face time icon is GONE and you may now facetime the contacts you were having trouble with!!!!!!!!

Billy-Fairfax, Va.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2017 7:55 AM in response to CobainK

I have just figured out what Apple could not. If you have a GREYED OUT facetime icon and cannot facetime one or more people, here is the FIX I discovered:

Remove that persons email from contacts list that is facetime greyed out and replace email with their ICLOUD APPLE ID. ........Problem SOLVED!!!! The greyed out face time icon is GONE and you may now facetime the contacts you were having trouble with!!!!!!!!

Billy-Fairfax, Va.

Nov 13, 2013 8:44 AM in response to HardCharger

Hello there, HardCharger.

The first thing to try is turning off Facetime and iMessage in your settings and then restarting your phone using the following Knowledge Base article:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If the issue persists after you've turned the features back on, then you may want to review Step 2 in this article:

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

If you see "Waiting for Activation" when trying to activate your Apple ID with iMessage or FaceTime on iPhone

When you're enabling FaceTime or iMessage on an iPhone, you may see "Waiting for Activation" or "Activation unsuccessful."

To resolve this issue, follow these steps. After each step, turn FaceTime and iMessage off and on in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime.

1. Ensure that you have an active Internet connection. You can complete activation using Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection. If you need help connecting to Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
  2. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  3. If your Apple ID isn't an email address, you can change it. The Apple ID that you're using to activate FaceTime or iMessage must be an email address. For more information, see how to change your Apple ID.
  4. If you get an error when you try to sign in to your Apple ID, sign in to your account and ensure that the primary email address has been verified. If verification is pending, follow the instructions in the email that was sent to that email address to complete verification.
  5. Ensure that FaceTime hasn't been restricted: tap Settings > General > Restrictions > FaceTime.
  6. Ensure that your iPhone is set to the correct time zone: tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
    Note: If Set Automatically is on but the incorrect time zone appears, turn Set Automatically off and choose the correct time zone, date, and time.
  7. Enable iMessage and FaceTime while connected to another Wi-Fi network in a different location.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Oct 21, 2014 9:21 PM in response to HardCharger

For those of you who are overwhelmed by the long list of instructions above, try the following alternative solution first:

1. On that FaceTime settings screen, turn FaceTime off.

2. Turn FaceTime on again.

That worked for me. No restarting, no futzing with iMessage settings and no upgrading the iOS version. I think because I upgraded my iPhone, there was some setting that was still connected to my previous iPhone, and switching FaceTime off and on kicked the new iPhone into activating itself for FaceTime.

Any rate, I hope this is helpful for someone who googles this problem in the future!

cheers,

jamie

Grayed out mobile number in FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.