Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help to convert .VRO files for iMovie

Hello everyone -

I'm brand new to iMovie and am trying to educate myself. I have an old Sony DCR-DVD203 video camera that writes to mini DVD discs (8cm). When I record to a mini DVD-R my iMovie (v 9.0.9) imports automatically using the USB cable supplied with the camera. However, when I record to mini DVD-RW discs (with the VR format) iMovie will not recognize the camera nor import the .VRO file.

I assume that I need to convert the .VRO file into something that my iMovie can recognize, such as DV or MOV. I've spent a number of hours researching Video Converter software, looking at developer sites for products that specify exactly what formats they support,. Specifically I have searched for support for input for VRO files and output for MOV or DV files. While there are lots and lots of video converters, many of the developer sites don't sepcify all the formats they support. Lacking any explicit evidence that the VRO format is supported for input, I exclulded all such software.

Using this process of elimination I have found several offerings that do explicitly state they support VRO -to- DV or MOV. These include:

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac ($60)

Aunsoft Video Converter for Mac ($35)

iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe for Mac ($60)

However, postings such as the following have made me very wary of these prodicts:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2741284?answerId=15029916022#15029916022

Many of these companies have very little or no information as to their physical address location, contact phone, etc. Another offering of a very similar nature is iOrgSoft Video Converter for Mac ($35), however, I find very little mention of this product here in the forum. More information is shown on the developer site for Movavi Video Converter for Mac, and it claims to offer a money back guarantee. However, this company is also identified as scam software in the following posting:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4337234

At this point I'm getting pretty frustrated, as everything I have been able to find is strongly suspect. Can anyone comment on the above postings that cast strong doubt on many Video Converters, or recommend something that will covert VRO to DV or MOV for iMovie? Is DV or MOV the best format to convert to, or would some other resulting format be better (and if so, why)?

Any further help would be very much appreciated!!! - Randy

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2011; 2.7GHz i7; 8GB RAM; HD 6630M

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 1:40 AM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2013 1:46 AM in response to Randy Knowles

When I record to a mini DVD-R my iMovie (v 9.0.9) imports automatically using the USB cable supplied with the camera. However, when I record to DVD-RW discs (with the VR format) iMovie will not recognize the camera nor import the .VRO file.

Then don't use RW disks!

But iMovie may not be able to read the mini DVD-R disk format. However, someone seems to have found a solution in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1691773?answerId=8045057022#8045057022

Nov 11, 2013 4:18 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1 -

Well I didn't relize that the min DVD-RW discs would not work after being able to import into iMovie with the DVD-R. I shot a bunch of video on some DVD-RW discs before I found out that iMouve would not handle them. I did look at Toast during my searching but, as far as I could tell, it does not accept VRO files as input for conversion. I see that the posting in your link is more than 5 years old, so perhaps that solution may no longer work in today's environment?

I have been able to copy the VRO files to my desktop so far. Thanks for your answer and the link 🙂 - Randy

Help to convert .VRO files for iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.