Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My notes won't sync

Hi,

I recently got an iPod Touch iOS 7 and I have a Macbook Air with Mavericks.

Until some days ago, I was able to sync the notes I wrote on my iPod into my Mac Air and vice versa, but that is not happening anymore. I'm using a gmail account as main address.

Why did it suddenly stop syncing and what can I do to sync again? Would very much appreciate your advise. Thank you!

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 1:45 AM

14 replies

Jun 23, 2015 5:31 AM in response to cosmovart

For me, I had noticed that sometimes Notes wasn't syncing between my iPhone & Mac. Opening the Mail app on my iPhone (which downloads my new mail) immediately initiated a sync. Try that. If that doesn't work, also try opening Mail on your Mac. This seems like a bug. You shouldn't have to use the Mail app on any device for your devices to sync notes between each other.

Jun 27, 2015 11:23 AM in response to cosmovart

I just realized my notes weren't syncing, and googled apple to your response.

I opened up Notes on my Mac, Under the "Notes" drop down window selected accounts. Under my Gmail account (when you click on it, a list shows up in the right hand selection window), I added a "check" next to notes. As soon as I did, the sync started and the notes from my iPhone showed up on my Mac Notes. I'm guessing mine stopped working when I upgraded my iPhone, and didn't realize that it was automatically linked.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 24, 2016 5:52 PM in response to cosmovart

I can't offer any help here, but I've started having the same/similar problem with iCloud notes.

Basically, it seems the notes will sync DOWN from iCloud to devices, but not UP from devices to iCloud.

To take a very simple example to demonstrate the problem:

Assume I have an iMac, and an iPhone, both using the same Apple ID and iCloud ID (happens to be the same) and both set to use iCloud notes for sync'ing. Both devices are latest OSes and fully patched. They are updated as soon as updates are available for general release, and have never run any beta software.

1 - Create a shopping list in iCloud online using Safari on my iMac

2 - This list will now appear in the notes app on the iMac and on (say) my iPhone

3 - Go shopping with iPhone, tick a few items off the list, maybe add a couple of new items

4 - Get home and check iCloud online, the list is not updated, the new items are missing and consequently, the notes app on the iMac is not updated.

5 - Update the items online (iCloud) to reflect what's on the iPhone and the iMac's notes app will update

All of this WAS working until around sometime in November this year, but I cannot be more specific than that.

The Apple ID has not changed, nor has the password between this working and not working.

I enabled two factor authentication at the beginning of October, across all my devices.

As far as I've been able to get with this is that the problem is somehow related to the ID.

If I use a freshly created Apple ID/iCloud ID, the synchronisation works.

The new ID is NOT using two factor authentication, but the syncing WAS working with two factor authentication on the original ID.

I should also add that the ONLY iCloud area I seem to be having this problem with is notes, reminders are syncing fine in both directions.

I too use a gmail account as my primary mail account (in the mail app) but don't use the notes function there, although if I turn this on, it works fine in both directions across all devices.

At a bit of a loss on this one, so I've switched to using Google Keep for now.

Any ideas would be welcomed, but I suspect it's a "back end" problem at this point.

Cheers (and merry christmas)

Simon

Dec 29, 2016 3:07 AM in response to cosmovart

I had a call back from Apple Tech Support yesterday (28th Dec) and it seems this is a known problem and will be addressed in a software update for iOS and macOS.

I enrolled one of my iMacs in the beta program and downloaded macOS Beta 10.12.3 and this certainly fixed the issue for me on that iMac, but not on iOS devices (not really surprising !)

In the meantime, I've also been following another thread on macrumours:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/icloud-notes-suddenly-syncing-one-way-only.2 015541/

This one's worth looking at as some people on there have had some success (as we don't know how far away the official update is)

In brief summary, the workaround involves enabling debug for Notes on macOS devices and resetting some things, then once the Notes are syncing correctly from the macOS device(s), delete the Notes app from the iOS device(s), reinstall and reenable iCloud Notes sync on the iOS device(s)

The key seems to be the debug resets from Notes on the macOS device(s), so I'm not sure whether simply deleting the iOS Notes app and reinstalling it would help, but I guess it might be worth a try ?

Cheers

Simon

My notes won't sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.