Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Input menu in Login Window - how to set the default value?

Hello,

Someone knows how to set the default value shown by the Input Menu in the Login Window ?

I have already tried this but it does not work :

1. Input Menu in Login Window shows "U.S." (I would like it to show, by default, "Belgian")

2. In the drop down I select "Belgian"

3. Input Menu now shows "U.S." and "Belgian" with a tick mark against "Belgian"

4. I select "U.S." and then "Remove current input method"

5. Input Menu now only shows "Belgian"

6. However, next time I go to the Login Window the input Menu shows again 'U.S." not "Belgian"

7. This is annoying because any user logging in from the Login Window will have again to change U.S. to Belgian to be able to correctly type in his password on the Belgian keyboard I have

I presume that I am missing the procedure to set the dafault value shown by this menu.

(I am not sure this applies to 10.8. Unfortunatley I have already migrated both my computers to Mavericks. However remote, the possibility exists that this is a bug in Mavericks)

Thanks very much for any help available.

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 3:53 AM

2 replies

Aug 12, 2014 1:58 PM in response to nunof

an easier way is to set it up how you want it in your account and then copy your user com.apple.HIToolbox.plist onto the system one, then reboot.

do this in terminal:

sudo cp ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist /Library/Preferences/

then restart your computer without going to the login screen (choose restart from the apple menu without logging out first)

Input menu in Login Window - how to set the default value?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.