Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the iPad charging very slowly and not completely

The iPad recently has stopped holding its charge and is charging very very slowly--even after being plugged in overnight it is only half charged. I did just download the upgrade and am wondering if that could have something to do with it?

iPad, iOS 7.0.3, computer is a MacBook Pro 10.8.5

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 4:31 AM

What model iPad is it? Try a reset - press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button together until you see the Apple logo appear on screen (could take 10-15 seconds be patient), then release them and allow it to finish rebooting normally. Then try charging it again. If that doesn't help then try charging it while it's powered off and see if that helps.

I had the same problem on my iPad 3 a couple of months back, before I upgraded to iOS 7. One day out of the blue it barely charged at all despite several hours on the charger. I powered it off and charged it for 2-3 hours, and it's been fine ever since. I suspect it would have been fine if I'd simply reset or restarted it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 4:31 AM in response to susanjw

What model iPad is it? Try a reset - press and hold the sleep/wake button and the home button together until you see the Apple logo appear on screen (could take 10-15 seconds be patient), then release them and allow it to finish rebooting normally. Then try charging it again. If that doesn't help then try charging it while it's powered off and see if that helps.

I had the same problem on my iPad 3 a couple of months back, before I upgraded to iOS 7. One day out of the blue it barely charged at all despite several hours on the charger. I powered it off and charged it for 2-3 hours, and it's been fine ever since. I suspect it would have been fine if I'd simply reset or restarted it.

Nov 11, 2013 5:04 AM in response to David Shanahan

Thank you for your reply. I don't know the model and can't seem to find that info. I bought it last February --it just says "iPad" without a number after it. I always marveled at how long I could use it without losing much charge and how quickly it then recharged. My problem however dates from after I did the update to 7. forgive my ignorance but I don't know what you mean by the sleep/wake button. I think the home button must be the round indentation that takes one back to the desktop, right? But what is the sleep/wake button? Thank you for your help.

Why is the iPad charging very slowly and not completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.