Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse cursor icon stuck as beach ball

The mouse arrow cursor icon, after waking my computer, turns into a beach ball icon and won't turn back to the arrow icon. I have to restart my computer to turn it back to normal. I have updated the intuos drivers to the latest update. This doesn't happen every time I wake my computer, it happens randomly. The mouse still works as normal, I can click with it, but it's stuck as a beach ball icon.

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 5:46 AM

27 replies

Dec 15, 2013 9:12 AM in response to Circles173

Hey guys,
Well it just happened to me 5 minutes ago. Found your thread about it...
Tried the "cursor size" method, it didn't take.

Then tried to think about which process could/would bring up the loading icon...couldn't think of one.
So decided to write about it there....but actually...in the process of signing into my apple ID, as my cursor was off to the side somewhere, i signed in and the next time i moved my mouse, I saw it back to the good old "arrow"

Problem solved.

Don't know why or how, but it seems signing into apple fixed it... weird.

Sorry if that doesn't help. But just wanted to say that the "Cursor Size Adjustment Method" did not work for me, and after signing in and writing about it, i was going to restart my computer, because it seemed like the only 'probably fix'.

Apple should really fix that, its weird and totally not cool. I understand it was a hick-up on behalf of the programming, and some bugs always follow a new release. Just hope it doesn't get worse...

Good luck

Jan 23, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Circles173

It happens to me also completely stationary beachball - not the spinning beachball that seems to very often happen in Maverics, just before the "application has quit unexpectedly" message (frequently happens to me in Safari, Sketchup, Textwrangler, iPhoto, Eclipse etc etc since moving to Maverics - hardly ever happened in SnowLeopard). Reboot cured it but not very satisfactory... Lets hope Apple soon get Maverics to work as well as SnowLeopard did...

Jan 30, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Circles173

I just installed Mavericks last night, and when I woke the Mac up this morning, it gave me a pair of squished beachballs for a cursor which would not go away no matter what or where I clicked. Obviously, this is not acceptable at all for doing illustration. However, it reverted back to the arrow when I bumped my bluetooth Apple mouse, so I wonder if it is an input issue where the OS is simply looking for a signal on a bluetooth connection. My Mac is a MacPro 2008 8-core, using two monitors (one is a Wacom Cintiq), a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and Magic Trackpad. I had woken it with the Trackpad, but hadn't touched it after that.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2014 8:41 AM in response to Circles173

It seems that it is related to having multiple pointing device inputs. I have the Cintiq and an Intuous 3 tablet (to access the 2nd monitor) along with the trackpad and mouse connected - 4 devices. It happened again the other day (only one beachball this time) and went away with the same fix - just tap or move one of the other input devices a bit. It may be related to another issue where all input scrolling disappeared no matter which device I used. I fixed it by turning Bluetooth (on the top menu bar) off and back on again.

Mar 22, 2014 7:15 AM in response to andrew_smith

Please note that Andrew's method will work for this specific issue. There is a "spinning beach-ball of death" which is different than this issue. I believe this to be a Mavericks problem as I had NEVER had this happen on Lion. It started only after I upgraded to Mav.

I opened Grab in utilities, then cancelled the screen capture. This made the beachball spin breifly and whalla...back to a pointer.

mouse cursor icon stuck as beach ball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.