Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relink masters that now have different file name

Hi,

As I had a major data crisis on my hard drive where my master were stored, I had to recover them and now they are named differently and are all located in one folder.

Will it be possible for Aperture to reconnect images that have different names (but I'm assuming the same metadata)?

Many thanks,

Phil Hudson

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:54 AM

Aperture 3.5 will reconnect the files, as long as the file size and other file attributes will be the same. Just point Aperture to the correct file in the locate referenced fiels dialog. You can even force a reconnect to files with a different size and resolution by holding down the alt/opt key while reconnecting.

See: Working with Referenced Images, the paragraph on Reconnecting Missing or Offline Referenced Images

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 11:54 AM in response to philhudson91

Aperture 3.5 will reconnect the files, as long as the file size and other file attributes will be the same. Just point Aperture to the correct file in the locate referenced fiels dialog. You can even force a reconnect to files with a different size and resolution by holding down the alt/opt key while reconnecting.

See: Working with Referenced Images, the paragraph on Reconnecting Missing or Offline Referenced Images

Nov 20, 2013 9:02 AM in response to philhudson91

Reconnect does work for single images, but reconnect all isn't working. Would you say in this instance it's worth using force reconnect, or would this be deemed risky?

Reconnect all cannot be triggered by "Force connect"- only the ability to connect images with the wrong file size . If "reconnect all" will work, will depend on Aperture's ability to infer the location of the matching other masters from the one you connected manually. If you want to reconnect all at once, you probably will have to rename the originals manually, to help Aperture to find their location.

Relink masters that now have different file name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.