Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese font different on iPhone 5s?

Today I configured my new iPhone 5s and noticed that the Japanese font is different from the iPhone 4.

Look at the first lines of tekst.

iPhone 4:

User uploaded file

And iPhone 5s:

User uploaded file

Anyone else noticed this too? Can I change this font? (I like the font on the 4 better)

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:22 AM

You should make sure that in the list of languages in settings, you have Japanese higher on the list than Chinese or Korean.

If that is done, there is nothing you can do to change the font, aside from asking Apple to switch it back in a future update via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

5 replies

Nov 11, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for your reply.

Well I have only set a Japanese keyboard as second keyboard and no other languages (besides my main language Dutch).

I set the system font to bold and then the Japanese font looks like that on the iPhone 4. However I don't want my regular roman font to be bold so I guess that I have to get used to the "new" Japanese font 🙂

Nov 11, 2013 1:06 PM in response to lexvo

lexvo wrote:

Well I have only set a Japanese keyboard as second keyboard and no other languages (besides my main language Dutch).

The keyboards don't matter, but the order of the languages in the list of those for the OS interface can be important. For example, if you have Chinese higher on that list than Japanese, you can sometimes find that a Chinese font is being used for Japanese text. So it is good to make sure Japanese is higher, even if the one on top is Dutch or whatever.

Japanese font different on iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.