Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CL Tools for Xcode 5.0.2 Update

After installing this update from the App Store, when I run

xcode-select --install
, I get an error message that the command line tools cannot be installed because they are not available on the Software Update server. Did something change?

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:46 AM

6 replies

Nov 13, 2013 5:44 PM in response to louiexiv

I have the same problem: downloaded the command line tools for Mavericks, installed successfully. But when I open Xcode it's not there. And it's not an option to download in Preferences > Downloads > Components. When I try to install from the Terminal it gives me an error:

Can't install software because it's not available on the from the Software Update Server. ***?!? Wouldn't have upgraded to Mavericks had I known. Can someone please help?

Nov 17, 2013 3:00 PM in response to louiexiv

So I've figured out that if you've installed the CDT from the Apple website using their .dmg file (as most people here have reported doing), running xcode-select --install will still give the "not available from Software Update Server," but the CDT are actually installed. You should be able to verify by running gcc --version.

Hope this helps people.

Dec 3, 2013 2:19 PM in response to maplesyrup522

I am new to this (using xcode and CDT), so want to be sure what I should expect to see from `gcc --version`. When I run this, it prints out

`Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Apple LLVM version 5.0 (clang-500.2.79) (based on LLVM 3.3svn)

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.1

Thread model: posix`

While "Developer" is in the path, which seems reassuring, this is not what I expected from other discussions. I did install via the .dmg file, and now I have a new path, `/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools` which was not there before (and what I expected from other discussions), and if I use the gcc found there, it actually points to the same output and prefix.

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/gcc --version

Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.1

Thread model: posix

What confuses me more, is before I installed the CDT from the dmg, I have used the `otool` trying to solve another problem, and it did not complain and tell me to install CDT. If these report the same info, can I be certain everything is installed correctly? I am having trouble installing some other code properly, and wondering if I have somehow goofed up my CDT install.

Dec 13, 2013 7:46 AM in response to maplesyrup522

maplesyrup522 wrote:

So I've figured out that if you've installed the CDT from the Apple website using their .dmg file (as most people here have reported doing), running xcode-select --install will still give the "not available from Software Update Server," but the CDT are actually installed. You should be able to verify by running gcc --version.

Hope this helps people.

But which kind of output should be expected when running

$ gcc --version

?

I ran the command (gcc --version) and that's my output:

Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0

Thread model: posix

CL Tools for Xcode 5.0.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.