It sounds like your secondary displays resolution is changing from its recommended, down to 1440x900 without rhyme or reason. I wanted to recommend the steps from this troubleshooting article named:
Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays
- Confirm display adapters are fully seated in their respective connections and that they are supported models and for the computer and display. Refer to these articles to assist you with adapter compatibility and further configuration information:
- Remove all display cable extenders, KVM switches, or other like devices and retest to determine if the issue is resolved.
- Try unplugging the video adapter or cable and then plug it back in.
- If more than one video adapter is in use (or "daisy-chained"), troubleshoot by using only one adapter.
- Example: A mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI adapter is an unsupported configuration because there is a series of adapters in use.
- If available, try using a different display and or adapter (or use a different connector by using DVI instead of VGA, for instance).
Reset the systemYou can reset the Mac's parameter RAM and SMC.Reset the resolutionStart by resetting the Mac's parameter RAM. If the display does not come up, was previously set to an unsupported resolution, and still results in no video:
- Start up in Safe Mode.
- From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
- Choose Displays from the View menu to open the preferences pane.
- Select any resolution and refresh rate that your display supports.
- Restart your computer.
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
All the very best,