Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iMac no longer recognizing Memorex CD-R and DVD-R media that it burned previously?

So this has happened before to me with other computers and other drives, I've had burners refuse to recognize some brands of blank discs before, but I've never really figured out the issue or had a drive start to refuse to recognize a specific brand after a few years of previously recognizing and burning them just fine. Here's the problem:

I have an older (2007) Intel iMac with the standard superdrive they shipped with. It wasn't particularly picky in the past with accepting different brands of blank CD and DVD media, though I remember that it did refuse a couple brands but I don't remember any more what they were. It did however always accept Memorex brand CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, and I literally burned several hundred DVDs and CDs on the internal superdive. All of a sudden, today I go to pop in one of the CDs and it tries to read it for about 20-30 seconds and then spits it out, no message, just rejects it. And the same thing happens with the DVDs. It's just the Memorex brand ones, older Sony and Verbatim CDs and DVDs are still reading just fine. I tried a blank Memorex CD from the same spindle that it previously burned discs from and it does the same with the blanks, blank DVDs from the same DVD spindle as well, spits them out when running Toast or Disk Utility or iTunes and trying to burn to them.

So it apparently just decided that it doesn't like these Memorex brand discs, but they worked fine for the last 5 years. This is a pretty big problem as like I said, I have hundreds of CDs and DVDs with backed up data. They aren't dirty or scratched, they are pristine. Commercial CD's and DVD's read fine, and other brands of blanks, both already burned and blank, read fine as well. It's literally just the Memorex that this same superdive burned over the years.

In the past, I had a couple extra DVD burners laying around and some external cases and had the capability to use a different drive if my internal wasn't playing nice with a brand, but I liquidated all my extra hardware a while back and don't have any other readers or writers, internal or external, that I can hook up to see what happens, unfortunately. I'm thinking that with one of the more recent OS updates, somehow support for Memorex brand discs was tossed out so the computer won't recognize them anymore. I don't know why else it would change what brands it supported like this on me. And I'm also guessing my only solution to be able to read all my hundreds of backed up discs is to buy another DVD drive and hook it up and hope it plays nice with all my discs. But that's really frustrating and I'd love it if somehow it would just recognize all the discs it used to without having to spend any money.

And I'm hoping beyond hope that this is not a unique problem I have and others have the same issue with Memorex discs and someone figured out how to get them recognized again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any advice or musing on this issue is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read about my problem and hopefully to offer a solution!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Intel iMac 2007 Silver and Black

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 1:58 PM

9 replies

Nov 11, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Heimdallen

By the way, the Memorex CD-Rs are 40x rated, and the DVD-Rs are 16x rated, though they were all burned at differing speeds, I most often burned them at the highest rate possible, but I know sometimes when experiencing issues and making a few frisbies, I'd slow it down and burn slower. So I don't know what speed the discs I'm trying were burned at. Also, this might sound crazy, but in the past when this sort of thing has happened randomly with a CD or DVD it sounded like it was spinning it up way too fast and then spitting it out, so before I've tried to force the computer to give it a longer chance trying to read it by bogging down the computer - inserting the disc while performing a complex photoshop render, things like that, and it's actually WORKED. It isn't spinning these discs up to 500 mph and spitting them out, but I decided to try the bog down trick anyway, and I got it to read a DVD - it tried reading it for a good minute instead of 20 seconds and it loaded instead of just spitting it out. So I finally got one disc to load after trying about 12 different CDs and DVDs over and over and over again. I don't know if this means much since I basically just got lucky, but I guess it means it CAN read one if it really wants to, the question is how to make it want to on a regular basis, ha.

Nov 11, 2013 3:37 PM in response to Heimdallen

Memorex media is not well regarded by most of us. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are. This is down to the quality of the coatings they use.

A few things you could try if you don't already have backup copies of the disk images they were made from, or the files that are on them:

Clean you Superdrive with a proprietory CD/DVD lens cleaner that uses tiny brushes.

Perform an SMC reset:

Resetting the SMC (System Management Controller) on Intel-based Macs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 and

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237?viewlocale=en_US

Find another Mac user whose Mac can read these media (it can be a hit-and-miss affair) and who can make copies of them for you.

Nov 11, 2013 9:16 PM in response to Klaus1

Thank you very much for your response, Klaus1. Yeah, when I was searching the forums for an answer to this problem before finally posting, I gathered that Memorex blank media isn't recommended and of poor quality, unfortunately, which is of course too late to help me with my current problem, but knowing that now I'll make sure I don't continue to use them in the future. I used them for many years, as long ago when DVD burners were first available I had a very hard time with Toast successfully finishing a DVD-R on an internal Panasonic 2x burner on my G3 tower, and for some reason I had good luck with them (Memorex). And then I had a lot of them on hand and they've stood up well over time (not flaking, etc.) so I kept using them over a few Mac upgrades. It also had to do with DVD players we had being compatible and able to read them.

Anyway, I'm rambling, point being I used them for lots of various reasons, but I should have kept informed in the more recent past and learned the fact that they're a poor choice and switched, my own fault. I just don't want to look totally stupid, like as if I had chosen them originally for no reason.

I went ahead and reset the NVRAM and also reset the SMC, and I had tried my cleaner disc with little brushes earlier today for the heck of it, too, but no luck still. The drive just changed it's mind and no longer likes the Memorex discs, apparently end of story and no changing it, sigh. It still really baffles me that it had no problem with them for nearly 6 years up until a few months ago, the last time I used one. So weird.

And no, I don't have the data on the discs stored anywhere else, so it's access them or nothing. I rummaged around and found an external 5.25" firewire case, and I do have a PC (yuck) I can borrow the internal dvd drive from and toss in the case and hook up to my iMac to see if it will read the discs and let me directly re-burn them to better media. I used to be very knowledgable about hardware and Macs in general, but I admit I haven't kept up my knowledge, and I don't know whether that will work - if my iMac is spitting out the discs because the drive doesn't like them and therefore a different drive might work, or if it's spitting them out because the system doesn't like them and switching drives will do nothing for me?

If not then I'll have to resort to finding another Mac I can hijack for a long time to re-burn all these discs I need, as obviously a machine with one drive is going to take a long time - putting in a disc, copying it to a local drive, ejecting it, putting in a new blank, and re-burning the data about 250 times. And a lot of baby sitting the machine as I don't have a robot to keep doing it for me. Sigh.

Thank you again for your advice, I greatly appreciate it even though I still struck out.

Nov 27, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Heimdallen

For anyone browsing this thread trying to find a solution to a problem similar to this, I have an update on a final fix for this problem.

I found a firewire 5.25" external case and a Memorex 40x CD-R/+R/DVD+R, DL,recorder and hooked it up to my iMac, and it reads (almost obviously) all of my Memorex CDs and DVD's as well as a house brand DVD DL spindle I had, and all other brands of media I've previously recorded on including but not limited to Sony, Maxell, Verbatim, and a bunch of discs with green, blue, silver, gold, and a purplish reflective background. My internal Superdrive has always been picky and problematic, I had it replaced twice under warranty for failing to spin up and a third time off warranty myself for the same problem, refusing to spin up and read any discs or show any signs of life.

While Memorex blank media might not be very well regarded, I have to give high marks to this Memorex DVD burner drive. It's never given me a single issue reading or writing to discs and if you need to replace your Superdrive, you may want to consider going with an external like this Memorex instead of buying a laptop internal drive that fits in your iMac. I've had much better luck with this drive and it's a lot cheaper being full size.

So, my discs didn't all fail at the same time, my internal Superdrive just decided to stop reading them for apparently no good reason since they work fine on the Memorex drive. I can't knock Apple, I've been a die hard rabid fan since my first IIgs back in 1984, but in this one case the internal Superdrive that shipped with the early Intel-based Silver and Black iMac's (mine is 2007) is kind of crap. That's the end of my problem, solved!

Nov 27, 2013 9:18 PM in response to Heimdallen

Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, and Maxell are all considered good media.

Remember that all are made differently and there Quality Control is different and as you have noticed I am sure they are different thickness. This is the major reason there is a lag when these or any media for that fact are being gauged by the burner. The same holds true when the burner is reading the content on the disc as well. I have used top of the line media and burned a movie and used everything exactly the same and some times it will read it and take it right away, and others will have the lag that seems like 15 to 30 seconds. This can all be attributed to the discrepancies in the media. I have purchased a 50 pack of Memorex and got 2 disc's that were good the rest were junk.

Why is my iMac no longer recognizing Memorex CD-R and DVD-R media that it burned previously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.