Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to change font size in incoming email messages?

In the Mail preferences I see options for changing fonts and sizes for composing email, but is there a way to control incoming font sizes?

Some emails for some reason show up in very tiny fonts when they come into my Mail program

thanks

nick

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:27 AM

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the question. You can update the font settings in the Preferences for Mail. By going to Mail>Preferences>Fonts & Colors, you can update the Message list font and the Message font for easier viewing. The Messages font will only change to the font you select if the sender does not have specific formatting for the text in their email:

Option Description

Message list font

The font and font size for viewing the list of messages (in classic layout only). Click Select to use a different font.

Message font

The font and font size for writing and viewing messages. Click Select to use a different font.

If the sender used a specific font for a message, that font is used when viewing the message.

Mail (Mavericks): Fonts & Colors preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14863

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 9:27 AM in response to nick baccante

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the question. You can update the font settings in the Preferences for Mail. By going to Mail>Preferences>Fonts & Colors, you can update the Message list font and the Message font for easier viewing. The Messages font will only change to the font you select if the sender does not have specific formatting for the text in their email:

Option Description

Message list font

The font and font size for viewing the list of messages (in classic layout only). Click Select to use a different font.

Message font

The font and font size for writing and viewing messages. Click Select to use a different font.

If the sender used a specific font for a message, that font is used when viewing the message.

Mail (Mavericks): Fonts & Colors preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14863

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Jan 22, 2014 2:56 PM in response to sheila_m.

This is inaccurate.

The font settings under Mail > Preferences: Fonts & Colors effect only the "classic" (i.e., ancient, inefficient, ugly) layout available under Mail > Preferences: Viewing. Without the "classic" layout enabled, the font/size interface does nothing at all. You can click at it until carpal tunnel sets in and absolutely nothing will change.

This has been the case since the new layout was introduced - was it one or two year's ago? Mistakes happen, but must they go on for years? A quick web search shows about a quarter of a million hits, ranging from baffled to plaintive to furious, and yet nothing has ever been done about the problem.

There's a unique quality of frustration that occurs when faced with the profound ontological uselessness of dysfunctional software. It resembles having one's car replaced with the dashboard mockup they install on kid's strollers to keep them distracted, but has precisely the opposite effect.

Mar 6, 2014 7:05 PM in response to nick baccante

Hi Nick, it works just as you explained, although what's confusing is that when you compose an email the compose toolbar indicates the changed font size.. in my case to '18' !

Sending an email to my outlook webapp, it works perfectly, with the font size automatically converted to 12 (just that outlook changes the font type to Times New Roman)

So I'm not entirely sure how this will look on someones desktop outlook, or on a Mac.

R Bryan, check the table again:

OptionDescription

Message list font

Message font

Is there a way to change font size in incoming email messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.