Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Graphic Cards - One for mac osx, one for windows 7.

Ok so here is my situation...

Im running a MacPro 2,1: 12gb of Ram X2 4core 3.0 ghz processors and a ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. I have mac osx lion running for all my music and web design apps and I have windows 7 installed for all my gaming needs.

Battlefield 4 has now been released and my MacPro in Windows 7 does not run it like it used to be able to run Battlefield 3. So... my guess is its time to upgrade my graphics card to something more powerfull... maybe something like this?

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-290-4096MB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-Graphi cs-Card-/271314258928?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Card s_TW&hash=item3f2b970bf0

But i dont think my mac pro will support this card or some of the other cards of a similar spec?

So my question is can I have two cards installed in my mac pro one being my original ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card to run and support mac osx lion and another card such as the one above or another card that is similar to run windows 7 for my games such as battlefield 4? I dont want both cards running at the same time...

Im not fussed about the second card being used in osx at all either... Im happy for it to just work in windows, as i just want it to work to play games etc?

If its at all possible how do i go about setting it up so the pc knows to use the right card when booting up the operating system?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

😀

Or another easy answer... what card will run battle field 4 and may new games to come without killing my bank account.

Genuine Mac Edition AMD Radeon HD 7950 3Gb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mac-Edition-AMD-Radeon-HD-7950-3Gb-PCIe-Video- Card-For-Mac-Pro-3-1-5-1-/251286781541?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graph ics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item3a81dbfe65

I think this is the compatable card for my machine that is the highest specs but its not as good as the one above and the price's are almost the same? :/

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 2:52 PM

1 reply

Nov 12, 2013 4:53 AM in response to grazzeee

The 7950 Mac Edition - check Barefeats and check threads on MacRumors forum for Mac Pro, may not play in your Mac with EFI32.

You are also up against PCIe 1.1 and Barefeats showed that even the 2008 doesn't show or appreciate faster GPU as well as a later models did.

You only have two 6-pin connectors unless you get into an external add'l 450W PSU.

A cheap i7 4770 PC with whatever you want is one way. Depends on how important and your budget and gaminig desires.

Dual Graphic Cards - One for mac osx, one for windows 7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.