Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail suddenly not working with Apple Mail

My gmail suddenly is not working with Apple Mail.

It said my username or password is wrong, but it was okay this morning.

Nevertheless, I deleted my gmail account, and re-setup it using Internet Accounts from System Preference.

However, I got the beow message:

There was a problem setting up the Mail account. An unknown error occurred.

I am sure my username and password are correct because I just login it using Safari.

Does anyone know what the cause is?

Please help~~~

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 4:04 PM

29 replies

Nov 13, 2013 7:16 PM in response to gs.charmi

I want to add one more issue that I noticed.

I have setup my gmail account on my iMac, MackBook Air, and MacBook Pro, but not all emails have been sync on my MacBook Pro.

I know I have about 1,100 emails sitting in my inbox unread, but eamils that sync on my MacBook Pro only show 456 emails unread. Also, when I searched for a specific email on my MacBook Pro, I could not find it. However, I could located in on my MacBook Air.

How can I solve this problem?

Nov 14, 2013 2:18 PM in response to leonhart1981

Mail has been a mess since Mavericks. Apple released an update but it didn't fix much. It takes Mail up to a minute to fetch Gmail IMAP mail and sometimes won't fetch it at all. It used to fetch instantly. It doesn't sync with what's already been read, deleted or moved like it used to.

I hope they do another update to Mail soon and fix the problems.

Feb 19, 2014 6:56 AM in response to Grant Lenahan

I have the same problem. My settings worked fine with I had OS X 10.7. When I migrated to OSX 10.9.1, one of my gmail account stopped checking for email. Deleting it only helps for a few days. My other Mac running 10.7 works like it normally does -- flawlessly.

You raise a good question and it would be even better if you could help us figure out how we can fix the issue. My setting have been exactly the same (I used migration assistant )and the only differene is the operating system. Any helpful thoughts on the topic?

Feb 19, 2014 2:05 PM in response to rashley12

Gmail not syncing in mac mail is a problem that is also in snow leopard since the new year.

OSX 10.6.8 is the highest OS that will run on an Intel Core 2 Duo. Do not try to install Mavericks on this machine! I will install, but turns it into a dinosaur and many programs will no longer run.

I had an issue with Mac Mail not syncing with imap.gmail.com. and Safari not being able to find apple.com.

This was resolved by working with an upper level tech support member for several hours deleating particular system library files, uninstalling most addons, reseting system network settings and a whole lot more! (too much to name here)

Thank you Apple Tech Support.

Feb 26, 2014 12:27 PM in response to leonhart1981

I am also having problems. We recently upgraded to Mavericks and everything was fine at first. I am synced with two different gmail accounts, but all of a sudden, one of them stopped syncing. It is also worth noting that Mail will create duplicates of messages in the trash folder. My coworker also has a problem where emails from me will be added to unrelated conversations.

Gmail suddenly not working with Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.