Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 4th gen battery life

I have a 4th gen iPod Touch that I just updated to iOS 6.1.3 (it was having the battery issue prior to the update also). The battery life is erratic - i charged it up to 100%. I did not use it, but left it in sleep mode. A day later I started listening to music and the batter dropped to 60% immediately. When I exited out of the music app and clicked to make it go to sleep, the battery indicator went back to 100%.

A day later I opened the music app and turned it on, and again it dropped to about 50%. Clicked sleep and the battery jumped back up.

Tonight when I went to update the apps, it died. UGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, 4th Generation 32 GB

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 4:46 PM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Schneidogg

What Illaass is attempting to tell you the battery % is at best a ruff estimate of battery life / use. The metering system in the iPod is not very accurate, and depended on how hard your working the processor. As you stated when you put your iPod to sleep the meter displaces 100% (the processor is in idle, not working hard at all) But when you start listening to music you, your putting a power drain on, so the display drops to 60% - 50% in power. If you watch video it will drop even faster because the processor is working harder. I'm guessing you iPod 4 is at least 1 to 2 years old or so, it could be your battery is getting weak and getting ready to crap out on you (I don't know the life span of the battery in a iPod 4, but I'm guessing the people at Apple do). You could try purging your battery, let it run completely dead and then allow it to fully charge, and see if it helps. I would get rid of the battery % number and go with battery icon, the % thing is cute, but not very useful.

Nov 12, 2013 5:49 AM in response to Schneidogg

Try restpring the iPod. If y still have such short batter life that indicated a hardweare problem. Likely a bad battery

Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one with a new battery for $79. They do not fix yours.

Apple - iPod Repair price

A third-party place like the following will replace your battery for less. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Replace the battery yourself if you are up to it. Y can purchase a replacement battery for about $10 US

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

iPod Touch 4th gen battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.