Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which device to remove iTunes association for?

When I bought my iPhone 5S, the first device turned out to be defective - the Home key didn't work, and this wasn't discovered until we had started the device and associated it with my iTunes account. The store gave me a new device, but I now have both the new device and the old one associated with my account. Furthermore, they both have the same name as my last iPhone since they were both set up from the same backup. When I look at the Manage Devices screen in iTunes, there isn't any information to tell me which of these devices is the defective phone and which is the one I'm now using. I don't want to disassociate the phone I'm using from my account, and it appears that I have a 50-50 chance of disassociating the wrong one. If I go ahead and take a chance and choose the wrong one, is it trivially easy to re-associate my phone with my account, or are there complications I need to be aware of?

Thanks -

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 2:32 PM

Hey Vic Riley,

If you cannot differentiate the two devices by the date they were associated, I would say it is safe to disassociate both. It is easy to re-associate your device to your Apple ID, as outlined in this article:

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID

Thanks,

Matt M.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2013 2:32 PM in response to Vic Riley

Hey Vic Riley,

If you cannot differentiate the two devices by the date they were associated, I would say it is safe to disassociate both. It is easy to re-associate your device to your Apple ID, as outlined in this article:

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID

Thanks,

Matt M.

Which device to remove iTunes association for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.