Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari has stopped working for Google Docs

Safari has mostly stopped working for Google Docs in our school and generally around our school district. District traffic is heavy and students keep getting a "trying to connect" message or " you must refresh" but are unable to edit.

Google Chrome works fine. This will be a tremendous loss to Apple over the years if Safari is not resilient with Google Docs and students become accustomed and habituated to Chrome.

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 5:28 PM

19 replies

Nov 16, 2013 8:08 AM in response to Dr.Bmosbacker

My first guess would be that the issue is the Safari version. Both Apple and Google Docs are "upgrading" frequently. Safari Version 6.1 works fine on my personal laptop. If i remember correctly our school district image is v5. Unfortunately the computers are flat screen iMacs 3+ years old with 500 megs of memory. Our district always buys new machines with miniumal memory thinking they can get upgrade memory cheaper in the future, which they never do because they dont want to invest in old machines, so we get stuck. Upping the version of Safari and the OS might be impractical.

From the point of view of building a rich, reliable, creative curriculum for students in a school system with tight budget constraints, modern technology *****.

Nov 21, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Jessie.zhg

Safari has been 64 bit since v4 that shipped with 10.6 Snow Leopard. So I'm guessing there's something more going on.

Jessie, did you intend to provide a link for "this post" or were you referring to Jame's "Open in 32 Bit Mode" suggestion from apple support?

Does anyone else have the secondary issue of not being able to access any of the Google account management features in Gmail and other services? When you click your avatar in the upper right corner, a drop down menu should appear allowing you to sign out or add an account.

Nov 21, 2013 11:14 AM in response to tmcdanel

I just attempted to replicate James' test. As of this moment running Safari 7.0 (9537.71) in 64 bit mode on Mavericks, I can successfully:

1) Create a new document and enter text in the Arial font

2) Edit an existing document and enter text in the Arial font

3) Access the upper right drop-down user account menu on the individual document page

However, I still cannot:

4) Access the upper right drop-down user account menu on the Google Drive listing page

Bizarre indeed.

Safari has stopped working for Google Docs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.