Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '13 - Video rendering error: -50

I recently upgraded to OSX Mavericks and updated iMovie. I created a new project to test out the new UI and functionality however I cannot share my project. Regardless of the destination I get the error below. I have already repaired permissions and rebooted but unfortunately no luck. I have also tried various resolutions. Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

The share operation "File" has failed.

Video rendering error: -50

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:44 PM

Solved: This allowed me to save progress and share my project.

***Take a backup prior to proceeding.

I ended up having to go in and remove the Render Files from my project. Find the iMovie Library then right-click and "Show Package Contents." From there locate your project and browse to the "Render Files" folder. I then went into the three folders therein and deleted all the subcontent (folders/files) leaving only the three parent folders. Then open iMovie and allow the Thumbnails, Peak Data and High Quality Media re-render then try to share again.

Movies/iMovie Library/Project/Render Files

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 6:44 PM in response to THE L1ZARD KING

Solved: This allowed me to save progress and share my project.

***Take a backup prior to proceeding.

I ended up having to go in and remove the Render Files from my project. Find the iMovie Library then right-click and "Show Package Contents." From there locate your project and browse to the "Render Files" folder. I then went into the three folders therein and deleted all the subcontent (folders/files) leaving only the three parent folders. Then open iMovie and allow the Thumbnails, Peak Data and High Quality Media re-render then try to share again.

Movies/iMovie Library/Project/Render Files

Mar 16, 2014 1:02 AM in response to THE L1ZARD KING

I had the same problem on a quite long project 4 hours with 340 clips. Here my solution :

- in the finder right clic on « iMovie library » then « Show Package Contents », open the event file concerned then « Original Media » check if it matches exactly your event inside the iMovie app (number of clips, sound, songs...).

- Go back to your event file in the finder then trash all the files in « Render Files ».

Close and open iMovie app and try export again.

hope this helps.

Aug 26, 2014 3:06 AM in response to Phil Arsenal

I had the same problem. I was doing an 8-min video for a project and it kept saying rendering error -50, and that the file failed to share. What worked out for me was this:

Open the file in timeline

Press cmd + A (to select all the clips)

cmd + C (to copy all clips)

(create new movie)

cmd + V (to paste it into a new movie)

Apparently you have to create another movie to replace the one that has a kind of bug or something. And then delete the old one.

Hope this helped. And thank you to whoever discovered this technique. 🙂 Credits go to that person.

iMovie '13 - Video rendering error: -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.