Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to apply a fade to all video, not just one element.

Hi. Ignorant here. New to FCP X and pretty new to video editing. I'm doing green screen stuff and I want to fade everything up from black. Trying to match the speed of the transitions is tough. I'm assuming there's a function to control the whole video component, not just per element...'Little help?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.9 ghz, 12 gigs ram

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Select both the green screen clip and the background and combine them into a compound clip Opt-G. Select the edit at the beginning and add a cross dissolve, Cmd-T should do it.

2 replies

Nov 11, 2013 6:32 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. Yep, that works. That was my next go-to but I'm reticent to create compound clips as I'd imagine there's a lack of individual control at that point. Perhaps that just makes one plan one's workflow. I was hoping there was another way but hey, compound clips are easy to work with and can always be separated when you need to manipulate them individually. Thanks much.

How to apply a fade to all video, not just one element.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.