Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong song match

iTunes match is matching my songs with the wrong song. For instance, I may have an original Broadway version but the match is with the same song but a different singer. Can I fix this?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 7:48 PM

iTunes match matches songs by Song Title & Artist, if it is a song which is available to buy on the iTunes store it will use that version in your iTunes match - However sometimes iTunes match can get it wrong and ends up matching with a simular album (as in your case!).

I had a simular problem where i imported an old West End CD from the 90s into iTunes and then iTunes match somehow matched this to something simular - But different!!...

What worked for me and how i got around this was to back up the correct song files (say on your desktop) and then delete and remove them from both iTunes and select the "Also delete from iCloud"option and effectively start again with this album.

User uploaded file

re-add the songs from the desktop (or wherever you backed them up) but before you initiate iTunes match to search / update your library, make a slight change to the title of the album.

I know this might be a bit annoying if your like me and have OCD with correctness of music names / album titles etc, but this was the only way i could find to do it.

so for example:

Album Name: Wonderful West End

Change to (Wonderful West End (2013) - as an example..

That way when you tell iTunes to match - it shouldn't pick up the incorrect album and then upload the correct songs to iTunes Match.

I just hope that Apple can come up with a better fix for this in the future, like giving us the option in iTunes to NOT Match songs and just upload.

Hope this help! 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 7:48 PM in response to Joe Thomas3

iTunes match matches songs by Song Title & Artist, if it is a song which is available to buy on the iTunes store it will use that version in your iTunes match - However sometimes iTunes match can get it wrong and ends up matching with a simular album (as in your case!).

I had a simular problem where i imported an old West End CD from the 90s into iTunes and then iTunes match somehow matched this to something simular - But different!!...

What worked for me and how i got around this was to back up the correct song files (say on your desktop) and then delete and remove them from both iTunes and select the "Also delete from iCloud"option and effectively start again with this album.

User uploaded file

re-add the songs from the desktop (or wherever you backed them up) but before you initiate iTunes match to search / update your library, make a slight change to the title of the album.

I know this might be a bit annoying if your like me and have OCD with correctness of music names / album titles etc, but this was the only way i could find to do it.

so for example:

Album Name: Wonderful West End

Change to (Wonderful West End (2013) - as an example..

That way when you tell iTunes to match - it shouldn't pick up the incorrect album and then upload the correct songs to iTunes Match.

I just hope that Apple can come up with a better fix for this in the future, like giving us the option in iTunes to NOT Match songs and just upload.

Hope this help! 🙂

Nov 20, 2013 6:38 AM in response to adp1983

Thank you. I am hoping for a better fix. I have 100s of Broadway songs, I just can't work with them that much. I already had to solve a problem of duplication of all of my music files by having them move to iTunes and then trying to back up everything. I basically made a mess of my music files and had to go through them one album at a time and delete the duplicate files. iTunes is not always easy to use. The distinction between a library and where something actually sits on my computer continues to give me head aches.

wrong song match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.