Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File format?

In preparation to using iTunes Match, I am trying to clean up my library of dups. If I have an AAC and a MPEG version, which should I be deleting?

Also if I added new genres such as Pop Vocal Female, is that going to cause problems when I try to match?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3, Windows 7 PC

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 6:48 PM

AAC is usually better quality than mpeg / mp3 etc..

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

iTunes match matches songs by Song Title & Artist, if it is a song which is available to buy on the iTunes store it will use that version in your iTunes match, which will replace any edited / added information you have put into the song tags (genre etc)... If the song is not available on iTunes It will then upload the song exactly as it appears in your current library including the personalised genre.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2013 6:48 PM in response to iPhoneNewbie50

AAC is usually better quality than mpeg / mp3 etc..

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

iTunes match matches songs by Song Title & Artist, if it is a song which is available to buy on the iTunes store it will use that version in your iTunes match, which will replace any edited / added information you have put into the song tags (genre etc)... If the song is not available on iTunes It will then upload the song exactly as it appears in your current library including the personalised genre.

Nov 11, 2013 11:49 PM in response to adp1983

Hi,

iTunes Match does not use song title and artist to match tracks. It uses the songs "footprint" to match tracks.

I have matched tracks where such information is incomplete and vice versa I have had non matches where metadata has been same as store version.

Also iTunes Match, per se, does not change metadata that is on each track - there have been issues where changes made after matching have not stuck. If you change genre, it should remain unchanged.

Jim

Nov 11, 2013 11:55 PM in response to iPhoneNewbie50

Hi,

Choose whichever file has best bit rate. Whilst AAC is generally better than equivalent mp3, it does not matter which version you keep. You can use whatever genre you wish - the change will be retained. The only issue that I have had is with purchased music - on some tracks, changes to metadata did not stick first or even second try but eventually stick.

Jim

File format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.