Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display Driver crashes in Windows 8.1 on late 2013 macbook

I have been able to install Windows 8.1 on my new 15 inch MacBook with Mavericks and Nvidia GPU. I installed windows along with the bootcamp drivers. The issue I am having now is that the machine complains that "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

This is happening every 30 seconds at its worst. When I have tried installing windows 8.1 earlier, rebooting resulted in windows booting to a black screen.

I have tried running windows updates but the same thing happens and after restarting the machine, windows just boots to a black screen. I have tried installing windows but not running any updates and the same thing happens. This is now my 3rd attempt in which I tried installing nvidia drivers direct from the nvidia website (331.65-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql) but the installer complains about incompatible hardware.

Is there any way to get windows to behave?

For refrence, I installed windows the following way:

1. Creating an iso from my windows 8.1 dvd on a windows machine.
  2. Use bootcamp assist to create a bootable usb from the iso, allowing it to download boot camp drivers.
  3. Splitting the hardrive into 2 partitions inside bootcamp assist.
  4. After the computer reboots to install windows, I then rebooted back into OSx and went into disk utility. I reformatted the bootcamp partition. I also added 2 more partitions that I later plan to put linux on.
  5. Restarted the notebook, booting from the bootable usb. Followed the windows 8.1 install prompts including formatting the bootcamp partition. Machine rebooted many times.
  6. Allow the installer to install bootcamp drivers.
  7. Restart and windows 8.1 was installed.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 8:46 PM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2013 1:34 PM in response to harishom

I'm having the exact same problem. When I have multiple displays attached to my new 2013 Macbook Pro, my NVidia driver crashes and stops responding. Also, I get black text boxes in Office products. I have Windows 8.1 installed.

I'd love to see a solution to this. I've tried installing old drivers, but they aren't supported. NVidia doesn't have drivers for the GeForce GT 750M at all. I present on projectors a lot, so this is a big deal for me.

The latest boot camp drivers are not helping me either.

Also, that link didn't help me.

Dec 12, 2013 2:18 AM in response to harishom

The Solution
The section about installing nvidia drivers worked flawlessly!

1. Download the latest nvidia driver.
  2. Unpack/run it on your local harddrive(note where!), it won't install at this point

"You need a modified .inf file to make the installer work"

3. Go to: www.laptopvideo2go.com - Windows 8 Nvidia 314.22 WHQL .inf File
  4. Locate the inf file for the driver version you downloaded in step 1. Save the inf file locally
  5. "Copy the downloaded .inf file into the Nvidia installer folders at: C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22*\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Dri ver (when asked if you want to replace the file say yes)." *note that driver version may differ
  6. Run C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\314.22*\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\setup.exe
  7. You are probably done by now!
  8. If problems still occur, go to Device Manager
  9. Locate Monitors -> Generic PnP Monitor
  10. right click and choose disable

My Problem

My screen went black on startup. I think some kind om Windows 8 update, was the cause.

Anyhow, uninstalling the nvidia drivers in safe mode* "solved" the black screen problem.

*Getting into safe mode was the most terrible part since shift + F8 wouldn't work for me at all(were I too slow?).

Dec 18, 2013 6:28 PM in response to IkeEllis

Ok, I mucked around in Windows the other day and had zero crashes. The only difference that I had was not having the ethernet to thunderbolt adapter plugged in. So without testing some more, I would hypothesize that given my issues, and IkeEllis issues with multiple displays, Windows 8.1 has thunderbolt issues.

I also briefly tried turning off PnP monitor but that meant that I could not adjust the screen brightness.

Mar 21, 2014 3:03 PM in response to aussiedwarf

I have been having the same issue. The Boot Camp NVIDIA drivers crash, so do the drivers from NVIDIA's site. They both cause a combination of blue screens and black screens; the only way to solve it was to boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro on my early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina. I've been running off my Intel graphics since, which is a little disappointing because of the power the NVIDIA has that I can't use.

I also can't adjust screen brightness.

Display Driver crashes in Windows 8.1 on late 2013 macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.