Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bluetooth keyboard crashing iOS7

With my Verbating foldable mobile bluetooth keyboard, I had 2 iPhone 5 crashes within one hour using Notes Application.

I was using the Keyboard heavily for notes during a meeting, when the iPhone screen froze suddendly. No user action: touch, keypress, volume buttons, power button, middle button would make the iPhone 5 with iOS7.0.3 react in any way.

Then, after 2-4 minutes or so, my iPhone rebooted, took quite some time, then everything worked as normal again.

The same thing happened again after 20 minutes.

This did never happen for me before, i _never_ observed iOS crash before in that way (longpress on powerbutton does not have any effect).

Afterwards, I recognized that email software lacked the lower menu bar, when viewing mails, or pressing the edit button. Only after a restart I could see the menu bar again in these use cases.

Strange - seems that my buetooth keyboard has dearranged quite some stuff inside my iPhone.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 10:53 PM

45 replies

Dec 24, 2013 7:08 PM in response to astir13

I just developed a similar problem, but with a BT speaker. I play a sound blocking app all night via my Jambox. Suddenly, last night, it shut off, about 10 minutes after I turned it on. When I opened my iPad mini, I found a black screen. I turned it on via the power button (took a while to come on) and had the Apple reboot symbol, which stayed up forever. I finally hit the home button and it brought up my normal lock screen. I had to pair my Jambox again, started it up again and the same thing happened. I thought it might be the app, so I opened another background noise app and it happened again. I gave up after that. I had to listen to our Shiz Tzu snoring!

Jan 2, 2014 7:21 AM in response to astir13

I have the same problem, but it happens within just a few minutes of starting to use my keyboard

iPad 2

iOS 7.04

Targums Bluetooth keyboard

Additionally, mine has the annoying habit of timing out after 5 seconds of inactivity, and I have to hit the little "yes I want to use the Bluetooth keyboard, not the onscreen one" button every time I have to think about what I want to type. I don't know if that's specific to my keyboard, or if that's a setting I can fiddle with, but I think having to do that so often is why it only takes a few minutes for it to crash. It always happens after about the fifth time it times out and I push that button again. The timing out issue has always been there, and it's been an annoyance, but now that it makes the iPad crash, I'm about ready to start chucking things out the window.

Jan 16, 2014 2:50 PM in response to astir13

Just adding a "me too", though in my case a new iPad Mini (retina) and actually an Apple Wireless Keyboard (brand new: i killed my old 1st gen one by leaving it on a shelf for months with batteries in it until I got the iPad and discovered my error). So no third-party keyboard firmware excuses. :-D

As others have reported; for me it seems that occasionally (not every time or it would be unusable) on waking the keyboard after it goes to sleep, the iPad crashes, completely unresponsive to anything short of a hard reset (power+home held down until it turns off, then turn on normally). (Side note: Not *quite* unresponsive: First time it happened I plugged it into a mac and it let me take a backup and sync, while the screen and buttons remained unresponsive; so I think the computer in the iPad's fine, just its primary IO device locks up.)

One thing: I *also* have the iPad paired to a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover. (First question: by any chance anyone else having this paired with more than one keyboard, even if only one is active at a time? In my case, the Apple one's for home, for full-speed typing; the Logitech one goes everywhere with the iPad.)

I haven't seen this issue happen with the Logitech. Or I *might* have seen it once; maybe early when I wasn't looking for the pattern so my memory's unreliable there. But it happens a lot with the Apple keyboard. One simple thought there is that the Apple keyboard has quite a short timeout before it goes into powersave (side-question: anyone know how to make it longer on an iPad?) so if the problem occurs on reconnection/wake-up, it's simply more *likely* to happen on a more narcoleptic keyboard.

bluetooth keyboard crashing iOS7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.