Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to control volume in YouTube on iPad, on-screen?

How can I access the volume control sliders when listening to YouTube videos on my iPad? (Not the hardware buttons)

MBair, MBPro, Mini, iStuff

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 11:40 PM

You can add assistive touch in accessibility in settings. Or much easier pull up the control panel from the bottom of the screen.

11 replies

Nov 12, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred DeRose wrote:

Put the video into full-creeen mode and the volume slider is there.

I tried that (full screen mode). There was not (that I could see) any volume slider in a YouTube video when viewed in full screen. This is the case for both my iPad and iPhone (both running iOS7).

Alfred DeRose wrote:

You can also swipe up on the screen to show Control Center. The sliders are also there.

And this is odd. While I can do this on my iPhone while the video is playing, the little tab at the bottom of the iPad screen will NOT come up while the video is playing. I can swipe to get the top tap to appear but not the bottom one. I played around with the bottom tab on the iPad and found that when I'm on a 'wallpaper' screen or viewing the contents of one of my app 'folders' then I can swipe to get the bottom tab to appear, but (apparently) not while the app is running.

Odd that it works differently on the iPhone vs. the iPad. (???)

Nov 12, 2013 6:17 AM in response to bobseufert

bobseufert wrote:

You can add assistive touch in accessibility in settings. Or much easier pull up the control panel from the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for the pointer to the setting. As I just replied to Alfred, on the iPad I could not get the bottom swipe to bring up the control panel ON THE iPAD while a video was running (full screen mode). The Accessibility setting is a click too many from the kind of access I'd like, but at least it's there!

I hope the problem with the bottom swipe is a 'bug' that will be fixed in some future rendition of iOS7. THAT would be the control I was looking for.

Nov 12, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred DeRose wrote:

Chech that Access Within Apps is enabled in Settings > Control Center

Brilliant! That was the difference. On the iPad I can now raise the tiny tab by swiping at the bottom while a YouTube video is playing. (I can't always get it to "pull up" to reveal the controls ... must be a problem with my fingertips. <g>)

May 21, 2014 2:31 PM in response to keriah

Done differently...in a less intuitive, cumbersome, poorly designed way. You guys shouldn't be giving the impression that it's NOT poorly implemented and that people need to just do it differently. We've gone from being able to dynamically adjust volume in full screen while a video is playing, to now having to stop the video, minimize the screen, then swipe a inconsistent menu dialog that doesn't always come up, THEN adjust the volume slider. Totally ridiculous; sorry I'm not pleased by your "solutions".

How to control volume in YouTube on iPad, on-screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.