Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook sync pdf

Hi,

can´t sync (ipad 4, iphone 5) pdf´s with ibooks. Why? Any ideas.

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 1:37 AM

17 replies

Nov 12, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Camping Doc

Hello,

I thought I had the same probem but I can explain how it worked for me.

For you information I use iBooks 1.0.1, iTunes 11.1.3 with Mavericks on my MacBook.

First I was a little bit astonished why the PDFs are not sync via iCloud direct from my Mac to my iPad using iBooks. But than I saw in iTunes if I add something to the iBooks library that it appears in iTunes.

The way i worked form me was:

First --> add the PDF in iBooks

Second --> plug in the iPad to you Mac

Third --> check in iTunes whether your PDF appears in the Book list on you iPad (maybe for iPhone its the same)

Forth --> sync your iDevice with iTunes.

Now you should have the PDFs available in iBooks on you device.

Its seems that a sync via iCloud is not possible for PDF. Only via iTunes. And I did not find any documentation of this complecated way.

Regards

Nov 12, 2013 9:59 AM in response to mw2012

I don't want to call this solved, but your solution did appear to work. I will have to try it a few more times to have any confidence this is going to solve anything. I can also email things to myself and then, from Mail on my iPad touch the attached PDF and select Open in iBooks. That works, too, but it is rather convoluted. And the issue will come when I read and delete a PDF from my iPad, will the iTunes sync also delete it from iBooks on the Mac? Time will tell.

But mw2012, thank you very much for your proposed solution.

Nov 25, 2013 10:23 PM in response to 19andreas64

Hi guys,

After a bit of searching I found a solution. My problem is I could see all my PDF's in iTunes, but they would not sync, iTunes said they were all missing.

To fix it, I opened the iBooks app on the Mac, clicked on the 'File' tab and clicked on 'Move books from iTunes'. After doing so I can sync all my PDF's just like normal.

Hope this helps!

Nov 26, 2013 10:44 PM in response to penny675

hello there ,

i got some pdf and try to transfer it from my folder to itunes ,then i can try to transfer it to ibook,but i cant figure out where to find those pdf files in my itunes,i can find it under the name i type in in search ,but there is no options for me to mark it as book or psf file and when i open ibooks,it only ask me to go to stores ,seems to me i cant rad any pdf file as books if i dont purchase it from the ibboks store?? thats crazy !!! help!!!

Jan 30, 2014 1:36 PM in response to penny675

I just wanted to say this helped me too, but not exactly for the reasons stated.

Like many people, I had already transferred books from iTunes to iBooks on my Mac when I first installed Mavericks. Then I added more PDFs to iBooks and, like others, I found I couldn't sync them with my iOS device. Since automatic syncing of collections is supported in iCloud, I created a collection of these PDFs along with one book, and activated collections syncing on my Mac and iOS device. The collection did sync – but only the book within it. None of the PDFs was copied across to my iOS device and nor did they appear in iTunes.

So I repeated the "Move books from iTunes" thing in iBooks – and it made those PDFs magically drift from iBooks into the iTunes Books list. So this "move" command really works in both directions (take note, Apple: this command is badly named and its two-way effect is undocumented in the iBooks Help). Now syncing the collection copies the PDFs across via iCloud, without having to do a sync in iTunes – although you can do an iTunes sync instead since the PDFs also appear there now.

Jan 30, 2014 1:46 PM in response to RichardLim

I guess I have gotten lost in all of this discussion. When I installed Mavericks, like a fool I did the Move books from iTunes thing. Now that command is missing from iTunes. So how do I repeat the "Move Books"?

Ever since Mavericks, the ONLY way I can get iTunes to recognize my iPad is to physically plug it in to my MacBook Pro. Wireless sync is gone. So I guess I need more clear explanation. If I physically plug my iPad into my MacBook Pro, then what? I see the iPad and I see the books and PDFs listed on the iPad tab. However, so far I have been totally unsuccessful at dragging a PDF into the iPad tab on my Mac, and I have been totally usuccessful at dragging a PDF into iBooks on the Mac and have it show up on the iPad - or adding a PDF to the iPad and have it show up in iBooks on the Mac. Yes, it shows up in the iTunes list, but not on iBooks.

So what am I missing here? Obviously some people are getting the convoluted mess Tim Cook and company promulgated to work. I'm just not one of them yet.

ibook sync pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.