Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar agent using all memory.

I am running a late 2012 iMac running Mavricks. This morning my computer hung. After rebooting it it hung again in a few minutes. I ran activity monitor and noticed that the calendar agent process slowing uses all the memory and then the OS starts using virutal memory on disk causing the computer to be ususable. I found an article to run off the calendar agent that fixes the issue for now.

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.CalendarAgent.plist

Does anyone know why this all of a sudden would happen? I have not made any changes to my system recently, I use Gmail for my email and calendar.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 4:34 AM

11 replies

Nov 13, 2013 8:19 AM in response to irafrommonroe township

I had the same problem--CalendarAgent was rendering my whole computer so slow that I couldn't do anything. Productivity down to zero.

After digging into console, it looks like all my Google Calendars were failing constantly. I found how to clear your calendar cache for Lion, but couldn't find anything for Mavericks (the file locations of the preferneces moved in Mavericks I guess). I was about to throw my hands in the air and go to a Mac Genius, even though I know they would have probably just wiped the drive and did a clean install.

Quick fix that seems to have solved everything:

1. Disable all your calendars for all accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

2. Restart

3. Re-enable your calendars in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

System is running back at full steam!

Dec 12, 2013 2:22 PM in response to amielmercado

I updated several generations from Snow Leopard (which came on my mac) to Mavericks all in one jump for my 2010 MacBook Pro. The above advice did not work to shut off CalendarAgent for me. The Genius Bar was able to fix the problem by deleting the "Saved Application State" which kept launching every time the Calendar Agent was shut off. This worked immediately and has had lasting results. From what I understand, just a bug since so much has changed from 10.7 to 10.9. Sorry I do not know how to delete the saved application state but hope this helps some of you who are more tech savvy than I am!

Jan 13, 2014 1:37 AM in response to irafrommonroe township

I had the same problem when I updated my MacBook Pro under Maverick. It came from the synchronisation with the google agenda. I solved the problem when I deleted the previous google agenda in the preferences of Ical and I created a new Internet account (google agenda) in the system preferences.

That's all and now my computer stop to use virtual memory and calendar agent is stable.

Hop it could be usefull.

Mar 2, 2015 10:22 PM in response to irafrommonroe township

I am using MacBook Pro 2014 Retina Display. Initially came with Mavericks and upgraded to Yosemite (10.10.2).

Had the same Problem. Calendar Agent took nearly 6 to 7 GB of the RAM and left me with 15MB ram. Got really irritated. But found this after a hard struggle. I tried the above solutions, think didn’t quite work for me.

Follow the steps you will get your problem solved.

1. Backup all the calendar events to your iCloud by enabling calendar in the internet accounts from system preferences. (Do this step only if you need your events to be there).
  2. Then open TERMINAL and type.
  3. chflags nohidden /Users/*******/Library
  4. ******* represents your username or the name in which your mac is started with. This name can be seen from "Macintosh HD” then “Users” then the user which you are..
  5. After running the command then again type in TERMINAL
  6. chflags nohidden /Users/*******/Library/Containers
  7. Now close the TERMINAL after running it.
  8. Now, open finder and goto "Macintosh HD” then to “Users” then the user which you are then “Library” then “Calendars”.
  9. In “Calendars” you have got to delete some files.
  10. Those are:
  • Calendar Cache
  • Calendar Cache- shm
  • Calendar Cache- wal
  • Email Cache.plist

Actually after deleting it,restarting PC solves the problem.

Sometimes you can’t delete those files because the Calendar Agent uses them and is running in background.

For that you have got to open Activity Monitor and Force Quit Calendar Agent and delete.

Restart your PC. Then open Calendar. Nothing happens and is back to normal.

Calendar agent using all memory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.