Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manual calendar migration Mavericks?

I upgraded to Mavericks from Snow Leopard, but things were slow and also decided to add an SSD to my iMac and do a clean install of Mavericks.

All went well, but I forgot to export calendar. I found my calendars on time machine (an older backup) located in /users/username/library/calendars but when I grab this folder and copy it over to the same location on my new HDD and restart calendar, none of my new calendars appear. These are all local calendars - no cloud syncing or any other cloud services. I see all the ICS entries in the folders.

After I copy all the old calendars over - the Hex/Alpha names - when i reopen calendar it creates new calendars in the folder for the default calendars but ignores the old ones i restored.

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:32 AM

11 replies

Nov 12, 2013 6:57 AM in response to coffeecoffee11

I found a work around... but unless someone has a better way, I am going to assume that the Mavericks calendar has some serious bugs...

1. Create new calendar

2. Make the new calendar the default

3. drag and drop ical files from old calendar folder directly onto the calendar window

It is not enough to just check the calendar you want to add events to, it must be made the default. I

f you leave open the calendar preferences window, you will receive an error during an import that it can't read the calendar event... something wrong with it. At this point some ical events import, some don't - even after closing the preferences window. Only fix is to quit Calendar and reopen.

Good news is you can re-import (drag and drop) the same ical event many times, and only get it to appear once.

The key is changing the default calendar before doing the drag and drop so your events make it to the proper calendar.

This really should be fixed... somehow it must be tied to the whole cloud thing - but I should be able to just copy over my calendar folder from my old machine.

Mar 30, 2014 3:07 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

My problem wasn't a Mavericks peculiarity, but a me peculiarity. I was stupid enough to delete some calendar's from Calendar that I really didn't want to delete. That post showed me what files I needed to grab off time machine. Initially that didn't work so I then read further down and found that I needed to log out. I did that and my calendar's appeared.

Manual calendar migration Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.