Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you launch a doc in Pages 5 with the formal panel closed?

Driving me nuts, there's a number of Pages 5 documents that don't need to have anything but text edited and I don't need that side format box/panel to be open, which in smaller screens really uses up a lot of space.

Is there a way to open a document with that darn side panel closed?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 6:11 AM

6 replies

Nov 12, 2013 11:02 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Note that if you choose to go back to Pages 4.3, you'll need to either be very careful to open all Pages docs IN 4.3 or you may want to disable Pages 5 so that it doesn't open things by default, which it will do if you just double click on Pages files in the Finder with it installed. Either zip it, or turn it into a Disk image using Disk Utility, or move it to an external drive or USB stick.

Nov 12, 2013 5:03 PM in response to moebelli

Actually I have just tested Pages 5 and yes you can turn off the side panel by clicking on the Format icon (Paintbrush) top right.

However since 95% of all your styling is only visible there, you will be turning it on and off a lot.

You used to be able to show and hide the Inspectors with a keyboard shortcut in Pages '09, so that will still be your best option on your laptop.

You raise a very valid point about the actual useability of the new UI.

I disagree with the new User Interface for other reasons, principally it does such a poor job of showing the correct settings for users as needed, this just makes it one more reason to give it an F.

Peter

Nov 14, 2013 5:42 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

For some reason, when I turn the panel off, it still comes on the next day, when I call that document up (after having turned off my iMac). I have 8-9 docs, I'm sure I turned off that panel -- yet it seems to spring back.

Anyhow, yes, agree with you the new interface, it feels incomplete and old. Like Pages 5 was a word processor from the 90's.

Going to unfortunately dust off Microsoft Word for the Mac now and use that (I don't want Pages 09, it now seems like an abandoned ship that won't get updated or supported by Apple).

Can you launch a doc in Pages 5 with the formal panel closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.