Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto hangs, found Console message

Though I'm a Mac user for over 10 years, I'm no good when deciphering Console jargon or attempting a Terminal command. My iPhoto has (as well as most everything else with Mavericks) been unusually slow when opening, importing, changing folders, editing, tagging, opening a slideshow, etc...pretty much in every way.

I opened Console as advised and found this repeated message (happening 4-5 times per second) while I was either opening iPhoto or importing 3 photos:

11/12/13 8:47:57.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: mdworker(3284) deny file-read-data /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Contents/PkgInfo

11/12/13 8:47:57.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: mdworker(3284) deny file-read-data /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Contents/PkgInfo

the final line of text that stopped this repeated text was:

11/12/13 8:48:31.961 AM WindowServer[125]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "iPhoto" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

Any ideas what any of this means? I'm really at a loss with this data...looks like something in my iPhoto library is invalid?

I know this next question shouldn't be in the iPhoto section, but perhaps it is related somehow.

I don't recall what I was doing at the time, but one minute prior to the iPhoto messages, I noted these messages alternatiing over 60 times:

11/12/13 8:26:58.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(3138) deny file-write-create /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

11/12/13 8:26:58.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(3138) deny file-write-create /Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

11/12/13 8:26:58.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(3138) deny file-write-create /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

11/12/13 8:26:58.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(3138) deny file-write-create /Library/Frameworks/TempEWSFile

It seems I've got some major issues. A point in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

C

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2 Tb recently installed hard drive

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 7:27 AM

Switch to another User account and see if the same issues persist there.

6 replies

Nov 12, 2013 9:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

Alrighty Terrence, I gave it a go and signed in under a guest account and guess what happened?

The repeated messages I found in Console while signed in as myself were no longer there! The missing messages were:

(repeated several times per second)

(the above in rapid fire succession).

So what does this mean? That I have some preference list that is causing my library to misbehave? Just today I did the whole iPhoto Library First Aid sequence; I repaired permissions, rebuilt the thumbnails, and repaired database. I did NOT perform the rebuild database as it sounded a bit dangerous. I diid backup my entire library just before.

So any ideas? I'm not sure what it means when it happens with one user and not another. I truly appreciate any insight.

Nov 12, 2013 10:08 PM in response to James Williams2

OOOKKKAAAY, I exported a slideshow this afternoon (about 800 photos) and as has been the case for a couple years, it took forever....the second half of the exoprt had no preview screen, just a black box. It must have taken 2 hours.

I just looked at Console and found a MOUNTAIN of errors. One thing I noticed about the exported slideshow is that some of my preferences for individual slides were not maintained and the show went on as if I didn't edit/alter the overall theme of the slideshow. I went back and personalized each slide setting again to find they sometimes worked in preview mode, but then when I returned, my preference for the slides were missing. FRUSTRATING. And so are those obscenely replicating Console messges...I'll throw out a few that have taken over my screen real estate:

11/12/13 7:36:40.622 PM sandboxd[1405]: ([1151]) com.apple.qtkits(1151) deny file-read-data /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/Content/Audio/KenBurns.m4a/..namedfork/rsrc

11/12/13 7:35:41.203 PM sandboxd[1405]: ([1151]) com.apple.qtkits(1151) deny file-read-data /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/Content/Audio/KenBurns.m4a/..namedfork/rsrc

11/12/13 6:39:20.570 PM WindowServer[121]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "iPhoto" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

11/12/13 7:34:44.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(1151) deny file-issue-extension /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/Content/Audio/KenBurns.m4a

11/12/13 6:12:31.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: com.apple.qtkits(1151) deny file-read-data /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2013/10/27/20131027-175254/cL6FQkeDRLew2BPnu1NA7g/IMG_4821.MOV /..namedfork/rsrc

11/12/13 7:30:00.128 PM mdworker[1690]: (Normal) Import: Using too many resources after 2048 files (wired: 0 resident: 2609 swapped: 0 regions: 2069), hit usage threshold importing /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Database/Faces/Detected/B3VS0xKQT+uFV1fVcuHvUw.apdetected, exiting to clean up now.

11/12/13 6:48:51.554 PM mdworker[1539]: (Normal) Import: Using too many resources after 2048 files (wired: 0 resident: 2676 swapped: 0 regions: 2073), hit usage threshold importing /Users/jchadwickwilliams/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Thumbnails/2008/Sep 15, 2008/bilde-5.jpg, exiting to clean up now.

11/12/13 7:02:50.178 PM iPhoto[1148]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage dissolveToPoint:fraction:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

11/12/13 7:25:20.851 PM sandboxd[1405]: ([1151]) com.apple.qtkits(1151) deny file-read-data /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Frameworks/iLifeSlideshow.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/Content/Audio/KenBurns.m4a/..namedfork/rsrc

I'm getting denied a lot on my own system. And it seems my system doesn't have sufficient ability to handle the workload as I see I'm using, "too many resources after 2048 files".

I think I'm going to try to rebuild my entire database. What have I got to lose? iPhoto worked FAR BETTER as a guest user. Does htis mean I should toss my plist files?

And as always...computer connoisseurs, child prodigies, insightful sages, and holy healers are all encouraged to respond (as is anyone else with mindful advice, I'm not that picky).

Thanks for throwing me a life-line,

C

Nov 13, 2013 4:55 PM in response to Yer_Man

Alrighty Terence, now we're getting somewhere.

I stayed logged in as myself but Created a new iPhoto library. I imported some photos, edited them, slide-showed them, added tags, etc

Not once did my Console show what was repeating before with my original library, which was:

And I also noted that this report was missing as well:

So, I'm guessing that means that there's something wrong with either my pictures folder, library, frameworks, or preference lists/panes? Thanks for taking the time to let me know where I should go from here.

One thing that DID show up on Console was a message about Flip4Mac/wmv components. I was advised on these boards to uninstall Flip4Mac as it could be leading to some issues with Mavericks, so I have. The Console report says:

11/13/13 7:35:16.317 PM com.apple.qtkitserver[1810]: Error loading /System/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced: dlopen(/System/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced, 262): Library not loaded: @rpath/TSLicense.framework/Versions/A/TSLicense

Referenced from: /System/Library/QuickTime/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced.component/Contents/MacOS/Flip4Mac WMV Advanced

Reason: image not found

I'm not sure why Flip4Mac was being requested, maybe because I was running a slideshow? Anyhow, iPhoto much more brisk in every way...and I also had 4 other apps running.

Thanks again for your input on where to go from here,

C

Nov 13, 2013 10:21 PM in response to James Williams2

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

iPhoto hangs, found Console message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.