Hello High Energy,
Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
For more information on this, take a look at:
iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection
- Ensure that your software is up to date:
- Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
- If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try toggling it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
- Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still does not, contact your carrierto report the issue.
- Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Restore the iPhone as new.
Best of luck,
did all of the above, still not working. 3g turns off my Carrier (No Service). I tried this on an Iphone 5 16gb, sim working fine. Put it back in my Iphone 5 32gb and it doesn't work anymore. Phone faulty ? Weird as before IOS 7.0.3 it was working fine. Now with IOS 7.0.4 still same problem. So did IOS 7.0.3 update KILL the Iphone's hardware ? Doubtfull, but with Apple you never know ?
Seems I am not the only one with this problem. Found people on T-Mobile, Vodaphone, etc with same issue. I am on TELENET (belgium) which uses the Mobistar network. I have a feeling something is wrong in IOS 7.0.3 as before my 3G plan was working perfectly.
Reset network -> no luck
Erase all settings and data (full reset) -> Set up as NEW phone -> no luck
Restored backup -> no luck
I found a link saying the network PLIST is crap, but for that you need root (jailbreak) access. Or an update from APPLE to fix the PLIST.
I been without 3G for about 3days
Follow this steps
1.Turn off 3G,cellular data,& location services
2.Reset network settings
4.Go to cellular data network & insert your carrier's APN (if u don't know visit carrier's site)
5.Now turn on 3G,cellular data, and location services wait for 10 seconds
6.After 10 seconds restart phone
7.After this let the phone search for signal(you can turn on airplane mode & wait till carrier disappears & turn off mode again)
8.you might have to do that 3 or 4 times finally you will get 3G back on
If this method don't work then you must edit the network plist and delete entries of carrier info
Any suggestions ?
I did the following test :
My Iphone 5 32gb with TELENET (belgium)
Put a PROXIMUS (belgium) nano simcard in my Iphone 5 32gb -> Result -> 3g working FINE !
Put my TELENET nano simcard in my wife's Iphone 5 16gb -> Result -> 3g working FINE
Put my TELENET nano simcard BACK in my own Iphone -> Result -> 3g "no carrier/no service"
I was on PROXIMUS before, so even after full reset the phone, setup as NEW PHONE in itunes even, nothing gets better. Once I put the TELENET simcard in my own Iphone, (32gb), no 3G possible and no more service. On 2g it's fine.
This is a fully sim-free 800 euro Iphone worth nothing right now. This all started after IOS 7.0.3 ...
Both Iphones are running IOS 7.0.4
Hope this helps to debug/fix
Contacted Apple Support Netherlands, very professional, very polite and explained my problems. They decided to send me a replacement Iphone and IT WORKS !!! I have no clue why on proximus my former iphone worked fine, and not on Telenet, but with the replacement Iphone I got within 24h!! (great service!) it was working straight away. The Iphone had IOS 6.1.4 in it, and I was reluctant to update, since I didn't want too loose 3G again.
So first setup as new Iphone, all working... then updated to IOS 7.0.4, that went fine...and YES ! STILL 3G !!
So then restored my former phone's backup, crossed fingers and STILL ALL GOOD !! So def something went wrong when I went from IOS 7.0.2 to 7.0.3, this is where I lost 3G on the Iphone.
Now it went from 6.1.4 to 7.0.4 and 3G is working as it should
Very Happy Apple Customer !
I got the same problem.
I bought my Iphone at may 2013 and last 2 days the 3g is saying searching all day long.
I've tryed all the steps EdBelgium wrote above nad still not working.
NOw i'm living in Brazil and Apple here they made all steps again and charge me U$380 to fix my Iphone in 7 business days.
The same price of a new one.
Its unbelievable cause its seems to be a internal problem and not a malfunctioning cause by the user.