Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders List Tied to Calendar

I noticed last night that a new list appeared in my Reminders app. It had the exact same name of one of my many calendars. The Reminder list had nothing under it, but when I tried to delete the list, it gave me a warning saying that it was tied to a calendar and if I deleted the list, I would delete the calendar and events as well. Then just a few moments ago I noticed the Reminder list is gone, yet my calendar and events remain. How did this happen???

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 7:39 AM

4 replies

Mar 17, 2014 6:07 PM in response to vbmike73

Am having EXACT same problem since around week ago - occurred before the recent iOS update and also has occurred afterwards. My "default" calendar has essentially appeared as an additional reminders list (although no contents in it). My intitial instinct, like yours, was to attempt to delete it but I stopped dead in my tracks when I got the warning it would also delete the associated calendar events. All the usual trouble-shooting methods ensued including switching off iCloud function for Reminders - then back on and re-sync with iCloud. Oddly the calendar name is not featured in the Reminders list on iCloud.com - so this weirdness is creeping in somewhere between iCloud and my devices. Apple Support so far have been clueless as usual I am afraid to say. Their frontline support are very limited in technical knowledge beyond the usual advice to hard reset device etc. Despite iCloud being a BIG feature of their iOS - the way it actually works seems to be mysterious to all concerned at their techincal support department - this is not a good situation for a customer with an iCloud related technical issue to find themselves in.

On the whole - most of the issues/bugs I have with all my Apple devices are iCloud related which is incredibly frustrating as iCloud was the "killer application" that drew my loyalty away from Microsoft in the first place... I have subsequently a house full of Apple gear that does not work as per the glossy promises made by Apple in the first place. Am rapidly beginning to conclude that the iCloud service in general is broken and bug-ridden. NONE of my case references raised in relation to iCloud related matters have ever been actually resolved by Apple. My gut instinct is to drop them but I have spent too much money.

Did you ever get a resolution?

Jul 27, 2014 8:18 AM in response to Curiously Perplexed

Here's a hack to get what you want and keep it simple:

Create two shared calendars (or not shared if you aren't sharing this "Reminder" list) in Calendar. This eliminates the need for having two apps as it's all done in Calendar.

I suggest calling one of the new Calendars "Not Calendared" (I know "Calendared" isn't a word, too bad, it fits here and I'm using it👿) and the other "Completed" (or use whatever two names you please).

Create "Reminders" in the "Not Calendared" Calendar. Check and uncheck (in the calendar list) to view, and then hide the "Reminders" to keep them from cluttering the regular calendar view. You can see them at any time as they won't be viewed most of the time and can even easily move them to a regular calendar as a calendared event if you want to see them "ongoingly" (see Calendared👿). Once a "Reminder" is moved to a regular calendar is not longer a "Reminder" but then becomes a Calendar event. It really is just a matter of what you want to see in your "Calendar" display vs your "Reminder" display. It just words and conventions and you are free to make up words and conventions however you choose. Ah, the power and ease of freedom!

Yes you lose the geofencing of the Reminder App and if that is really useful then for now bite the bullet and put geofenced items in the Reminder App and have TWO places to keep track of stuff.😠 Hopefully Yosmite Sam will come to the rescue in a few months and restore some Apple elegance to this situation.😎

When you complete a "Reminder" move it from the "Not Calendared" Calendar to the "Completed" Calendar and leave the "Completed" unchecked unless you want to view your completed items which are always available in the "Competed" calendar as it is currently in the Completed section of the Reminder app.

Enjoy!

Nov 6, 2014 6:06 AM in response to BernSh

Thanks for that hack. But that is a mess!

I'm guessing this somehow stems from Reminders being a part of Calendar back in the day (since Snow Leopard?). They seem somehow to be tied in together in the back end, but not sure how or why.

This was never an issue for me, but now just became one as my wife upgraded to Yosemite. I had upgraded right after it was released, and no issues. Now today, the shared Calendar items are showing up for both of us in our Reminders list. Odd.

More than just a Yosemite issue, this seems like something in the back end that Apple needs to sort out. Anyone else have any ideas?

Reminders List Tied to Calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.