Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight > file location

Is there a way for spotlight to do as it did year ago and how the location of a file it finds? Ages ago when you made a search not only would the file come up, but the location would show as well. That way you not only could open or find, but you could go to the files location and move it if necessary.

Now all I get is the list and no way to figure out where that specific file is located. Having been a Mac users for more than 20 years I have things all over the place.

Thanks in advance for help

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.8 GHz, 16GB Ram, 512GB HD

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 10:09 AM

You can still look for the location of a file through Spotlight.

Press Command and Space keys or press the maginifier button at the top right corner of the display to open Spotlight, and type the name of the document you want to look for. Then, highlight it with the cursor and hold the Command key, so its location will show up in the popup next to Spotlight.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2013 10:09 AM in response to atomicluck1

You can still look for the location of a file through Spotlight.

Press Command and Space keys or press the maginifier button at the top right corner of the display to open Spotlight, and type the name of the document you want to look for. Then, highlight it with the cursor and hold the Command key, so its location will show up in the popup next to Spotlight.

User uploaded file

Nov 12, 2013 10:17 AM in response to mende1

That helped. My problem is that there is so much that multiple items appear in spotlight. One single name can bring up 25+ items. I was able to use the command and enter so that it pulled up the location within the file it was buried. Still not as easy as it was year ago when it automatically displayed location.

If I do what you suggested it brings up the file itself buried within a file. In this case a photo by name, within a file of 50+ images with the same name not just the location as the image you posted.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: atomicluck1

Nov 12, 2013 10:22 AM in response to mende1

In may case to so easy. I type in the name Joseph or Joseph James and spotlight will pull all the files related to that name. If in my case there be 100 commerical photos of that person or with that name attached then spotlight can list 100's of things. All within varies company files or photograhers or dates. If I can see the location then I have an idea which single item I need. Maybe because they are photographs as soon as I do as you direct that photo or series of photos open up to the side of spotlight, not the window you say. I can find things though by clicking the highlighed file which opens the buried file within a file and a name listed.

Could be that photos react differently with spotlight than a document.

Spotlight > file location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.