Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong caller id city

Lubbock Independent School District (Lubbock ISD) has a new telephone number exchange (806-219-xxxx) which is used exclusively within the city limits of Lubbock, TX.

However, anytime an Apple iPhone is called from these numbers, the Apple customer is presented with inacurate information.

Apparently, the iPhone is translating the 806-219-xxxx number into Petersburg, TX which is absolutely incorrect.

Please tell me how to get this changed so that Lubbock, TX or Lubbock ISD is presented to the user.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Terry Driscoll

Chief Technology Officer

Lubbock ISD

1628-19th St.

Lubbock, TX 79401

Voice: 806-219-0150

Fax: 806-766-2260

e-mail: tdriscoll42@LubbockISD.org

iPhone 5s, All iPhones, all carriers, etc.

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 10:21 AM

24 replies

Mar 22, 2017 11:41 AM in response to tdriscoll42

Hello there. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I'm a business owner and need the city and state to show correctly on my phone. Called my carrier and they said they couldn't help me. The address on the bill shows my current city of Healdsburg CA. It pulls up a city 50 miles away. Ukiah ca. How can I get this changed? It's the same area code (707) but a different county.

Nov 18, 2013 7:07 AM in response to KiltedTim

Unfortunately, this misinformation is only happening on Apple iPhones. Below is a summary of our testing.

• Wired phones with caller-id show “Lubbock ISD” (Correct)
  • Sprint Wireless - Apple iPhones: “Petersburg , TX”(incorrect)
  • Sprint Wireless – All non-Apple phones: blank or “unavailable”(Correct)
  • Verizon Wireless - Apple iPhones: “Petersburg , TX”(incorrect)
  • Verizon Wireless – All non-Apple phones: blank or “unavailable”(Correct)
  • AT&T Wireless - Apple iPhones: “Petersburg , TX” (incorrect)
  • AT&T Wireless – All non-Apple phones: blank or “unavailable”(Correct)

Nov 18, 2013 7:23 AM in response to tdriscoll42

I don't see how you can argue that "blank" or "unavailable" is "correct.

The fact is, that this information is transmitted with the caller ID string from the carrier. It is NOT being generate by the phone.

Landline and cellular carriers are different. They may not display the exact same information as they use different systems. The fact that 3 different carriers transmit the SAME location string to phones that can receive it (like the iPhone) is pretty telling.

Report the problem to your carrier.

Nov 18, 2013 7:56 AM in response to KiltedTim

The fact is, that this information is transmitted with the caller ID string from the carrier. It is NOT being generate by the phone.

Except that it isn't. The text "Lubbock ISD" is coming from the landline carrier, the carrier transmits name and telephone number. That's caller ID. The landline phone displays the caller ID information.

Your average cell phone in today's market ignores the name portion of caller ID, if it is even sent, in favor of data from its internal contacts list.

What smartphones increasingly do is use the area code sent as part of the phone number to display a location. This is *not* caller ID. The cell carriers the OP mentions are *not* sending caller ID information, this is why the display is "blank" or "unavailable".

The NANPA database (the *official* list for North America) says that area code 806 covers both Lubbock and Petersburg. Every reference I can find does not list the 219 excahnge as being part of Lubbock, if it lists it at all. I assume this exchange was recently created.

So, like it or not, the system is working as it should.

Nov 18, 2013 12:02 PM in response to Marc Wilson

Marc...

Thanks for your replies.

Our NXX is in fact new...it has been active only 1 full week.

I have confirmed that the NANPA database is correctly showing Lubbock, TX associated with 806-219.

http://www.nanpa.com/enas/coCodeReportUnsecured.do?reportType=7

Do you know whether or not iPhone database of NXX numbers is dynamic or static? In other words, is there any hope of this getting resolved without an iOS update? if an update is requred, do you know of anything that we need to do to ensure that the next update includes our entry in the database?

Thanks Again!

Terry Driscoll

Nov 18, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Marc Wilson

Yes, Marc... please explain how exactly iOS deals with the fact that prefixes are added to the telephone network on a regular basis an how it avoids either displaying the wrong city information or no location information at all in the months between iOS updates... I'd love to hear this...

Of course, since the data is not stored in firmware, but comes from the carriers, I don't expect a coherent answer.

Oct 5, 2014 3:18 PM in response to tdriscoll42

I am pleased to announce that after almost 11 months and a lot of blood, sweat & tears; Apple has resolved this issue for Lubbock ISD!

iPhones running iOS8 now show “Lubbock, TX” when called from a 806-219-xxxx phone number.

It turns out that there is in-fact a static file on the iPhone (inside the phone app in iOS) which cross references Area-Codes & NPA to City Names. Due to a misunderstanding by Apple, this file has not been updated since the iPhone was new in 2007. The assumption was that once assigned, a city name would never change. In our case as of 2007, 806-219 was assigned to Clear for use in “Petersburg, TX”. However, Clear never issued any phone numbers and later abandoned the project and returned the block of numbers back to NANPA. In 2013, NANPA assigned 806-219 to Sprint for use by Lubbock ISD in “Lubbock, TX”. Because Apple has no facility to update changes such as this, the wrong city name has been displayed ever since Lubbock ISD started using these numbers to call iPhones (Oct. 2013).

To resolve the Lubbock ISD issue in iOS8, only the single table entry for 806-219 was manually changed by Apple Development. Therefore every other city name changed since 2007 is still a problem. I believe that Apple development now understands that either the file needs frequent updates, or a complete redesign of this function is required.

From this date forward, I would like to use this discussion to document other city names that are incorrectly displayed on iPhones. If you are experiencing this problem in North America, please confirm that the City Name displayed does not match the records at NANPA: http://www.nanpa.com/enas/coCodeReportUnsecured.do?reportType=7

Then respond to this discussion with a sample calling phone number, the incorrect City Name shown on the iPhone today, and the correct City Name. I will do my best to deliver this information to the right people inside Apple Development to get the problem resolved for everyone.

Thanks,

Terry Driscoll

Lubbock ISD

Feb 17, 2015 2:37 PM in response to tdriscoll42

Wow an answer to my prayers!

My company is a small carrier in Kansas City and owner of the 816.888 block since 2011. We have the exact same problem as this block is setup correctly in every industry database as Kansas City, MO. On the iPhone (and iPhone only), it is displayed as Boonville, MO - which is not even in the 816 area code!

Our customers really don't like when their calls are showing up from Boonville, so we get LOTS of complaints. All avenues through our carrier partners (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) have failed to resolve the issue.

So...all numbers for 816.888.xxxx are showing up incorrectly as Boonville, MO and should be Kansas City, MO - per the NANPA database. If you could get this information to the correct people at Apple, I would greatly appreciate it.

Apr 1, 2015 9:44 AM in response to tdriscoll42

Hi Terry and Apple developers,

Thanks for your valuable experience and information.

There are a couple of numbers used by me/friends we wish to be fixed.

650-272-XXXX

650-999-XXXX

650-285-XXXX

650-800-XXXX

650-308-XXXX

All above numbers shows "San Francisco Peninsula Area" however from NANPA database and the zipcode we applied number for they should be all belong to Palo Alto, CA.

Best regards,

Wrong caller id city

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.