Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Keychain without owning a SMS phone?

I can not set-up keychain on my new iMac. On my iPad and iPod, it gets to a point where it asks for either the telephone number for a SMS (short messaging) phone or tells me a password is being sent to my phone (not SMS). Can't you use the new keychain without owning a cell phone?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 10:33 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2013 11:57 AM in response to johnparks

Hi there johnparks,

You can use the steps in the article below to set up iCloud Keychain without an SMS-capable phone number.

iCloud Keychain availability by country

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6020

Devices using iOS 7.0.3

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Keychain.
  2. Enter your Apple ID password.
  3. When asked if you want to use your device passcode as the iCloud Security Code, tap Create Different Code.
  4. Tap Advanced Options, then choose one of these options:
    • Get a Random Security Code.
    • Don't Create Security Code. Choosing not to create an iCloud Security Code means that your iCloud Keychain is stored only locally on your device and updates only across your approved devices, not with Apple's servers.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete setup of iCloud Keychain.

Macs using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later

1. Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences. Click iCloud, then select Keychain.
  2. Enter your Apple ID password.
  3. Click Advanced, then choose one of these two options:
    • Get a Random Security Code.
    • Don't Create Security Code. Choosing not to create an iCloud Security Code means that your iCloud Keychain is stored only locally on your Mac and updates only across your approved devices, not with Apple's servers.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete setup of iCloud Keychain.

-Griff W.

Can I use Keychain without owning a SMS phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.