Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Mac Mini Server Soooo Sloooowww

I'm trying to determine why my Mac Mini Server is so slow. It is the slowest Mac I've ever owned. I seldom have to say something like this about any of my Mac's, but this one takes the prize for slow, slower and slowest. I'm not running a lot of extra junk on it. It's the latest version of Mavericks OS X 10.9 and Server. 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 ram and dual HDDs (500 GB each). Mid-2011 model.

Can anyone suggest something to look at or consider that might make it run better and faster?

Mac mini, OS X Server, Mid-2011 Mac Mini Server

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 4:06 PM

10 replies

Nov 12, 2013 4:43 PM in response to dwmreg64

Launch Activity Monitor.app from Applications > Utilities and see if there's a lot of CPU time or a lot of I/O going on.

Launch Console.app from Applications > Utilities and see if there are any indications of some process or tool being stuck in a crash-restart loop or other untoward state. An application that's in an odd state can cause the system to be overloaded.

Also launch Terminal.app (again from Applications > Utilities) and issue the following harmless diagnostic and verification command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This last command will require an administrative password for the sudo, it might display a one-time warning message about the use of sudo that can be ignored, and the command output will show some network configuration information about the host, and will then indicate whether the diagnostic has detected no problems and no changes are required, or that there are network or DNS changes necessary.

Nov 12, 2013 5:13 PM in response to MrHoffman

I'm seeing a lot of these in the console logs:

11/12/13 6:14:47.000 PM kernel[0]: Sandbox: xcscredd(127) deny file-read-metadata /Users

Also after upgrading from Mtn Lion to Mavericks the Internet Accounts managed, some how, to suck in two accounts I no longer use or need. So I get pop-ups about them too.

CPU wise in Activity Monitor I don't see a whole lot.

Other than that still exploring....

Nov 12, 2013 7:01 PM in response to dwmreg64

The xcscredd sandbox stuff is a known bug in the Xcode Server and can usually be ignored; there's a typo in a config file.

This...

Also after upgrading from Mtn Lion to Mavericks the Internet Accounts managed, some how, to suck in two accounts I no longer use or need. So I get pop-ups about them too

The Internet Accounts entries are just a different interface into the same accounts used by Mail.app. Access and disable or delete what you don't need there. Though what are the pop-ups you're getting? Anything relevant to the performance issues?

Nov 13, 2013 4:24 AM in response to dwmreg64

For me it was Spotlight indeing forever. Even though spotlight is not using a lot of CPU, it is doing tons of disk access, which bogs everything else down. I found in my case it was a problem induced by Norton Antivirus "Idle-Time Scan". Turned that off, and now everthing is snappy. Norton is aware of the issue, and is working on it.

Nov 13, 2013 7:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Just about any thing - it's beach ball o'rama almost consistently and constantly. I'm about ready to strip it down and start over from scratch. I use it primarly for:

1) camera monitoring (yes this does take some serious CPU, but if I'm on the mini that is turned off or reduced)

2) iTunes is running all the time the Mini Server is my iTunes hub

3) Crashplan backups - run when I'm not around so this is also my main data storeage system.

Nov 13, 2013 7:41 AM in response to cpragman

Spotlight seriously ***** up CPU when it is running. I'm considering just removing it by adding all my drives to the blocked list. I'm wondering if I can replace the internal drives easily.

(hmmm Apple doesn't like posts with slurpping noises in them or the noises vacuums make good thing I'm not reporting issues with an Apple iStraw. ;-) )

Nov 13, 2013 7:45 AM in response to MrHoffman

Pop-ups for the these mail accounts are just annoying and mysterious. I still don't know where they came from and none of the GUI preferences in Mail or System Preferences refer to them at all. They basically pop-up as complaints about the "certificates" associated with these accounts. I have a MacBook Air that doesn't present the same issue so I eliminated any thoughts about replication, iCloud, etc.

Nov 13, 2013 8:18 AM in response to dwmreg64

First, back up all data immediately, as your boot drive might be failing.

Step 1

This diagnostic procedure will query the log for messages that may indicate a system issue. It changes nothing, and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'GPU D|I/O e|find tok|n Cause: -|NVDA|timed? ?o' | tail | open -ef

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. Normally the command will produce no output, and the window will be empty. If the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window) has anything in it, stop here and post it — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the TextEdit window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

Step 2

There are a few other possible causes of generalized slow performance that you can rule out easily.

• Reset the System Management Controller.
  • Run Software Update. If there's a firmware update, install it.
  • If you have a portable computer, check the cycle count of the battery. It may be due for replacement.
  • If you have many image or video files on the Desktop with preview icons, move them to another folder.
  • If applicable, uncheck all boxes in the iCloud preference pane. See whether there's any change.
  • Disconnect all non-essential wired peripherals and remove aftermarket expansion cards, if any.
  • Check your keychains in Keychain Access for excessively duplicated items.
  • Boot into Recovery mode, launch Disk Utility, and run Repair Disk.
  • If you're booting from an aftermarket SSD, see whether there's a firmware update for it.
  • If you have a MacBook Pro with dual graphics, disable automatic graphics switching in the Energy Saverpreference pane for better performance at the cost of shorter battery life.

Step 3

When you notice the problem, launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Activity Monitor in the icon grid.

Select the CPU tab of the Activity Monitor window.

Select All Processes from the View menu or the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected.

Click the heading of the % CPU column in the process table to sort the entries by CPU usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Also post the values for User, System, andIdle at the bottom of the window.

Select the Memory tab. What value is shown in the bottom part of the window for Swap used?

Next, select the Disk tab. Post the approximate values shown for Reads in/sec and Writes out/sec (not Reads in andWrites out.)

Step 4

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out this step.

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Activity Monitor. Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Select the 50 or so most recent entries in the log. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V). You're looking for entries at the end of the log, not at the beginning.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some personal information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting. That should be easy to do if your extract is not too long.

Why is my Mac Mini Server Soooo Sloooowww

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.