Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal app mouse-pointer invisible

I am using different colored Terminal.app windows (Pro, Ocean, Grass). Since Mavericks the text cursor is invisible on many color schemes when moving the mouse, making it very hard to select text. And, no I do not need glasses, and have good vision.

Try to select Ocean or Grass and circle the mouse over the window, the cursor becomes almost invisible! If you have a little sunlight on the screen it vanishes!

Any fix for that? Is it possible to get a bolder selection cursor?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 10:02 AM

It's just a minor price (not seeing what you do) you have to pay for the honor of using The Awesomeness (aka "MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)"). Just kidding, I bet none of the design / dev team at Apple give a **** because they're all using iTerm2.

10 replies

Nov 13, 2013 3:04 PM in response to foxx1337

This helped me spiritually 😁

iSee now that not seeing what iDo, may be a big advantage and t iMe-saver. iNstead iNow do not even have to know what iDo and noone else can see what iDo, because when iDont see what iDo, nobody can see that iDo nothing?

The nest awsome upgrade will increase the retina dpi twice and thin the fonts by 4x and increase the productivity by half.

Amazing! iTerm2's cursor is really different and more visible!

Nov 13, 2013 5:37 PM in response to katzlbt

Hehe. It's just that it's not that important (mouse copy-pasting in the console), or so they say, and that's why it's been probably overlooked. Not to mention that Terminal.app is rather apart from Apple's heart these days. Myself, I've not switched yet to iTerm2, just squirming around in good ol' Terminal - and I also do mouse-copy - paste a bit from time to time. Oh well...

May 8, 2014 10:16 AM in response to Ulaavi

I tried using alt(option) while moving the mouse, and it appears to have no effect at all on my fairly new Macbook Pro (Mavericks). I tried it with several apps (Terminal, Safari, Chromium, Activity Monitor) active, and also after clicking on the background (desktop), and saw no effect at all with any of them. So does something have to be tweaked to make it work?

May 21, 2014 7:27 PM in response to jc1742

After reading the mentions of iTerm2, I looked it up, installed it, tested it for a few days, and now I've replaced all my Terminal windows with iTerm2 windows. There are still a few weirdnesses (and still nowhere near the improvement in screen resolution that the vaunted retina display hype promised ;-), but it does have a configurable pointer that can be made highly visible.

(I tried to figure out how to use the "voting" thingies mentioned to the right of these messages to give out a few points, but I was baffled. I used to know how to do it; I don't any more, and nothing I poke at here other than Reply seems to elicit a response. Maybe I'll stumble across a clue if I look around some more ....)

Terminal app mouse-pointer invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.