Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro wakes up, even with the lid closed.

I have a 2011 MPR running Mavericks that is getting really noisy. It's one thing when I am working on it and the fan is going, but it's started to do it while it is asleep. Starting today, when I open the lid it is already lit up and on the lock screen. In the past I had assumed it was running with no display, but now I think it might be waking itself up all the way? If that's possible?

I have no bluetooth or USB devices plugged in, I have unchecked both wake to network and bluetooth access. I can't seem to find any other answers. It will wake up several times during the night, which is obnoxious since my desk is right next to my bed. Any tips on how to make it go to sleep and stay asleep?!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:43 PM

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved. Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if Internet Sharing is enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

Reset the SMC.

Step 5

Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Post for further instructions.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal. Don’t launch any applications at first. If sleep still doesn’t work properly, back up all data and reinstall the OS. After that, if you still have the issue, make a “Genius” appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

If sleep now works as expected, go on to the next step.

Step 6

Still in safe mode, launch the usual set of applications that are running when you have the problem, including your login items, one at a time, testing after each one. Some applications may not work; skip them. You might be able to identify the cause of the problem this way.

Step 7

If sleep is still working after you’ve launched all the usual applications, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and test again. If sleep still works, you’re done, at least for the moment.

If you still have the sleep issue after booting out of safe mode, post again.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2013 5:43 PM in response to ChillyWilly21

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved. Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if Internet Sharing is enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

Reset the SMC.

Step 5

Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Post for further instructions.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal. Don’t launch any applications at first. If sleep still doesn’t work properly, back up all data and reinstall the OS. After that, if you still have the issue, make a “Genius” appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

If sleep now works as expected, go on to the next step.

Step 6

Still in safe mode, launch the usual set of applications that are running when you have the problem, including your login items, one at a time, testing after each one. Some applications may not work; skip them. You might be able to identify the cause of the problem this way.

Step 7

If sleep is still working after you’ve launched all the usual applications, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and test again. If sleep still works, you’re done, at least for the moment.

If you still have the sleep issue after booting out of safe mode, post again.

Jan 8, 2014 6:39 AM in response to ChillyWilly21

I'm having a similar issue, noticing that my Mid 2010 MBP is waking when the lid is down (in sleep mode).

Fortunately I believe I know what it is, however unfortunately... it relates to a Mavericks only issue that as yet, still remains unresolved.

As others, shortly after upgrading to Mavericks I noticed that my pointer started jittering intermittently, coming and going for no apparent reason. It seems to effect people in slightly different ways, but following is a link to a short screen recording of how it is effecting my Mac. In the recording my finger is stationary on the integrated trackpad in my Macbook Pro (Not an external bluetooth trackpad) but as can be seen, the pointer is almost constantly on the move...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B687aT8LAHKmemtuUFc0c3hYVk0/edit?usp=sharing

I believe it is this cursor movement that is waking the Mac out of sleep, even though the lid is closed. Unfortunately Apple appears uninterested in fixing the issue.

Macbook Pro wakes up, even with the lid closed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.