Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility not working from Recovery HD.

I've got a brand new top of the line Late 2013 MacBook Pro (2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD). This is my first Mac and I need to run Windows as well so I have done a lot of playing with Boot Camp, Parallels, and VMWare fusion. Including the use of CampTune for resizing the boot camp partition. Somehow I got it into a state where CampTune wouldn't run because it says the partitions need to be repaired. When I ran Disk Utility from within OS X, it said I needed to boot into Recovery and use Disk Utility there. However, in Recovery, Disk Utility won't launch. When I choose it, it starts to start up and shows "Gathering Disk Information", then returns to the Recovery Menu. The next thing I tried was restoring a Time Machine backup. That ended up saying it was going to take 48 hours so I killed it. At this point the Mac partition doesn't show up in the recovery boot menu but it does show up in Windows running from the Boot Camp partition.

What I'd like to do.

1. Recreate the Mac partition / reinstall OS X, preserving the existing boot camp partition.

2. Install Parallels and convert the boot camp partition to a VM.

3. Blow away the Boot Camp Partition and extend the mac partition to the full hard drive (1TB).

4. Use Windows via Parallels.

But I can't even get it to run Disk Utility or Reinstall OS X from the Recovery Menu at this point. Can this be done from the command line? I see you can use terminal from the Recovery partition.

Alternativey I can resotre the boot camp partition from a backup so if there is a way to just level set the thing to stock that would work too.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 5:25 PM

1 reply

Nov 12, 2013 5:48 PM in response to RandyKnight

Ouch! What a mess!

By the sound of things you will need to be in a fast wi-fi area and reinstall via Internet recovery.

Restart your Mac whilst pressing and holding Commmnad+Option+R keys - enter your wi-fi password and then enable the Internet Recovery mode.

It will delete your current bootcamp if you erase your disk and reinstall but at least you can recreate that later.

Disk Utility not working from Recovery HD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.