Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use my iMac(late 2009) as a monitor for my MBP(2012) or my MBP(late 2010) without software?

I currently have a late 2009 iMac, a 2012 MBP, a mid 2010 MBP and a MinDisplay Port (MDP) male to male cable. I am trying to either use the iMac a second monitor for one of the MBPs or mirror the display.

The iMac has a MDP port and is running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)

The MBP 2010 has a MDP port and is running OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

The MBP 2012 has a Thunderbolt port and is running OS X 10.9 (Maverics)

When I connect the 2010 MBP to the iMac with the MDP cable the screen of the iMac goes black and the MBP flashes blue. I have been looking for a solution and I have tried:

• Rebooting them in the order of: connecting the cable, turing on the MBP, then turing on the iMac
  • Whilst they are on simply plugging the cable between the two
  • Connecting them with the cable while they are on, then pressing cmd-f1 on the MBP
  • Connecting them with the cable while they are on, then pressing cmd-f1 on the iMac
  • Pressing cmd-f2 on the iMac, whilst there are connected, only toggles a black screen on the iMac
  • Pressing cmd-f2 on the MBP doesn't do anything

Every time I connect the MBP 2012 to the iMac with the MDP cable, the MBP screen goes black and the computor screen becomes unresponsive but the screen stays on and I have to reboot the MBP.

I will really appreciate anyone who has any information on this topic.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), late 2009

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 10:25 PM

There are no replies.

How do I use my iMac(late 2009) as a monitor for my MBP(2012) or my MBP(late 2010) without software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.