Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync with Aperture and Android?

Is there any way to sync photos from Aperture to Android? There seem to be a couple of options to sync from iPhoto to Android devices (doubleTwist and Missing Sync), but none for syncing from Aperture to Android devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 12:56 AM

21 replies

Nov 13, 2013 9:02 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. I have an Aperture library. I can open iPhoto and it can read and write to that library. But doubleTwist and Missing Sync both can only read an iPhoto library (not sure why this is, since, like you said, Aperture and iPhoto can read each other's libraries). And I definitely don't want to duplicate libraries since I would have to manually update both as I added new pictures and videos, and it would take up double the disk space.

Nov 14, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Giving a quick look at the Double Twist site it appears it is syncing your iTunes library.

So you might be able to do Aperture to iTunes to Double Twist.

There is no way to "do Aperture to iTunes" that I'm aware of. iTunes is the conduit through which iPhones/iPads can sync photos from Aperture or iPhoto. doubleTwist looks at the iTunes library for music and videos, but not photos. For that, it looks at the iPhoto library directly.

Unless you found a workaround I am unaware of, in which case, please detail the steps, if you would!

Nov 14, 2013 5:55 PM in response to mrbofus

There is no way to "do Aperture to iTunes" that I'm aware of.

Of course there is, that is that is how you sync photos to an i device from Aperture or iPhoto.

Now whether that will work with Double Twist I can't say. It;s not even clear what the app is capable of, their site is short on real information but they do mention syncing an iTunes library to an Android device, so if they do that they should be able to sync photos also.

Nov 14, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

There is no way to "do Aperture to iTunes" that I'm aware of.

Of course there is, that is that is how you sync photos to an i device from Aperture or iPhoto.

Unless my knowledge of how iTunes/Aperture/iPhoto/iPhone/iPad syncing is incorrect, I am going to have to disagree with you.

iTunes does not store any of the photos itself. All of the resized photos reside in an "iPod Photo Cache" folder that is inside the Aperture library. iTunes merely remembers which device(s) are supposed to get photos from iPhoto/Aperture and which photos to sync.

As far as I know, iTunes is also not designed to serve as a conduit to other Apple applications. That's why applications like doubleTwist, Missing Sync, etc...have to look at the iPhoto/Aperture library directly to do any syncing.

doubleTwist is currently designed to look at an iPhoto library or at a folder with pictures in it. I believe that's how Missing Sync is set up as well. I was hoping that since there are programs that will sync an iPhoto library with an Android device, that there would be one that would sync with an Aperture library.

Nov 14, 2013 6:13 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:

Probably the best approach is just to export your photos from Aperture as JPEGs. Then sync this folder hierarchy to your Android phone.

I'm afraid that I disagree that your solution is the "best approach". That best approach would double the size of the hard drive space my photos and home videos take up. Unless I deleted it after every sync, but then I would have to re-create it every single time, which would be VERY time consuming for the 20,000+ photos I have. Plus, it wouldn't be a true sync, since if I wanted to make any changes, I would have to make all those changes manually. e.g., if I wanted to only sync a few events, I would have to manually copy those photos, which means it's no longer a sync.

I understand that your idea is the best approach (assuming it was a one-time thing) given that there doesn't seem to be an extant solution, but that's why I started this discussion; in the hopes that someone knew something I didn't and would be kind enough to share that knowledge with me. But I'm looking for a sync solution, not a one-time copying solution.

I appreciate your input though!

Nov 18, 2013 8:53 AM in response to mrbofus

I found that Picturelife has a nice app for Mac that basically keeps the Aperture library synced in the cloud, available on all your devices (iOs Android and web based).

Since I could be content with my Synology NAS, or Google+ Photos to sync the Aperture library, I'm looking for a software that does just the syncing portion to a folder.

Nov 18, 2013 10:21 AM in response to The_Cav

That's interesting. For me though, I use Zenfolio as my cloud backup. Plus it makes it easy to share photos/videos with people. It doesn't do a true sync but after the initial HUGE export and upload, I just upload projects as they're created in Aperture.

I realize that I could do the same with Aperture and Android, but I was hoping instead of having to manually do that everytime, I could set it to automatically sync everything or just be able to pick events without having to manually export everytime. Obviously, with my iPhone, I can do that easily through iTunes, but since there are other apps (doubleTwist, Missing Sync) that will sync witih iPhoto, I was hoping there was one that could do that with Aperture.

Sync with Aperture and Android?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.