Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Quicktime X in Mavericks store screen recordings while recording?

I know I can save it anywhere once I click stop. But where's all that info piling up while it's recording? And is there any way to tell Quicktime to record to an external drive in real time like I used to be able to do in Snow Leopard?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 7:07 PM

I know I can save it anywhere once I click stop. But where's all that info piling up while it's recording?

Same as with previous Mac OS X verson:

Use the "Show Package Contents" option to open the "Library/Containers/com.appleQuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/Unsaved QuickTime Player Document.qtpxcomposition" file and then look for the "Screen Recording.mov" file.

And is there any way to tell Quicktime to record to an external drive in real time like I used to be able to do in Snow Leopard?

No, the target location appears to be default programmed into the system.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 7:07 PM in response to joshoowa

I know I can save it anywhere once I click stop. But where's all that info piling up while it's recording?

Same as with previous Mac OS X verson:

Use the "Show Package Contents" option to open the "Library/Containers/com.appleQuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/Unsaved QuickTime Player Document.qtpxcomposition" file and then look for the "Screen Recording.mov" file.

And is there any way to tell Quicktime to record to an external drive in real time like I used to be able to do in Snow Leopard?

No, the target location appears to be default programmed into the system.

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2013 5:42 AM in response to jamesg0000

Quick question though, do you know why i would have to search for the temporary auto-saved screen recordings? For some reason only the oldest ones were opening up in my dock when i launched quicktime, but the most recent ones were buried in the container folders.

If I understand the question correctly, not a clue. Only the programmers whould know for sure. My guess would be a change in methodology that ensures a scratch write area of known minimum characteristics (a boot compatible drive) coupled with user feedback probably requesting an accessible stored scratch but un-saved (to final target drive location) file which has yet to be added to the app's "Recents" list.

User uploaded file

Apr 16, 2014 9:28 PM in response to Jon Walker

Why the recordings end up in the oddest places? All i can tell you is that the older versions of quicktime youset the place they would be stored by default. This new version after upgrading to Mavericks you need to generate a short recording, then stop the recoding by clicking stop button in menu bar top right (you will see it pop up when you start recording), the save the recording by selecting FILE>SAVE navigate to your external drive or location on local disk, then save. After that the location will be the default.

Apr 17, 2014 4:32 AM in response to boyd596

This new version after upgrading to Mavericks you need to generate a short recording, then stop the recoding by clicking stop button in menu bar top right (you will see it pop up when you start recording), the save the recording by selecting FILE>SAVE navigate to your external drive or location on local disk, then save. After that the location will be the default.

Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing this. It will make a great "Quick TiP" for the next user group meeting.

User uploaded file

Where does Quicktime X in Mavericks store screen recordings while recording?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.