Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad shows "Lost iPad" without being reported as lost by owner.

Hi!

My boss's iPad shows "Lost iPad" on the screen.

The owner has not reported it as lost. Neither has any knowledge of ever installing an app such as "Find my iPhone".

The phone number shown to contact is not that of the owner but when we call that phone number a lady picks it up and says she has not reported any iPad as lost.

All we have is the receipt from the shop we purchased this iPad from and they have gone bankrupt since.

What should we do?

There are five more Apple products in the same household which are all functioning normally.

Please help!

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 1:10 AM

8 replies

Nov 18, 2013 1:07 AM in response to GrumpyGator

Hi GrumpyGator,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried both of your suggestions.

Sorry but neither of the two suggestions work.

For your knowledge and everyone else's:

First suggestion of restoring through iTunes didn't work at all, as soon as I clicked on the restore button in iTunes, it again asked for the Apple ID of the ghostly person who doesn't exist. (the same person whose phone number is suggested to call but when called, that person denies reporting any iPad stolen.)

Second suggestion of recovery mode, did give some hopes, but we ended up just updating to iOS 7.0.4 and then when the update was completed and iPad restored, it went back into the same loop of asking for the Apple ID of a person who doesn't exist!

Please help! Thank you.

The iStudio employees in Thailand are extremely rude and unhelpful, approaching them yields nothing.

All they're interested in is selling new products but no support whatsoever for previously sold products, especially those products which you didn't purchase from their shop.

Nov 18, 2013 6:53 AM in response to alandT

Honestly, that sounds like iOS 7's Activation Lock kicking in exactly as it is designed to do. Activation Lock will require the previous owners AppleID password to be able to activate and use the device.

It sounds to me like this now bankrupt store you purchased from was selling stolen devices, and you are now stuck with one. Without that previous owners AppleID password, you will never be able to use that device.

see http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695 for info about Activation Lock.

iPad shows "Lost iPad" without being reported as lost by owner.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.