Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime preview in mavericks

Is there any way of getting back QT previews in Mavericks, with out shelling out £199 on Final Cut X? Seams mad Apple have 'broken' their own format and forced you to purchase a £199 program to get the functionality back. Just paid £2700 for a mac book pro with less functionality!

Very frustrating, seeing its their own format!

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 2:09 AM

7 replies

Nov 20, 2013 2:07 AM in response to monkey808

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5482736

Noticed QT pro code haden't migrated with time-machine.

This discussion covers the getting QT working, but doesn’t solve the Quick look problem. Still no thumbnails and "space bar" Quick Look preview with "old formats like "Uncompressed & Animation"

Ironic its called Quick time and Quick Look, when you have to wait for your computer to convert to preview. Its almost like going back to a PC : (

Lets hope apple see sence for all there Pro users who have GB's of source videos in the old formats.

If anyone find a Quick look solution let me know!

Nov 29, 2013 2:31 AM in response to monkey808

I have a solution!!! I cant beleve how easy it was everyone on the forum with this problem will love how simple it its!

Just find someone with Mountain Lion and copy that version of "Movie.qlgenerator"

System/library/Quicklook/Movie.qlgenerator

....paste into your Mavericks System/library/Quicklook/ folder.

Reset your machine, all your old legacy thumbnails of quicktime return!!!! Still no ability to play but solves half the frustration. Hopefully Apple wil make a update if enough of us complain.

Why Apple developers thought it was a good idea to give us all a headache on dropping legacy QT previews I will never know!

(Just be on the safe side make sure you copy and paste the Mavericks "Movie.qlgenerator" to your desk top incase people have a diferent version and it brakes something)

May 9, 2014 5:42 AM in response to monkey808

Update:

Right tried downloading "Motion 5" then installing :

ProApps QuickTime Codecs v1.0.4

As lots of posts on the internet recommend. Glad I didnt pay for Final cut! as still no previews with (not so) ’Quick Look’ on old legacy formats like animation! Come on apple please fix for use animators and Pro users out there!

What makes me laught is Motion can instantly preview and thumbnail thease formats. Why can 'Quick look’ !!!!

Jul 10, 2014 7:01 AM in response to Eric Root

Have used their feedback form,

Its Quick look in the operating system and the ability to quick preview with spacebar the movies, like in Mountain Lion and all the other OS before it. So using QT7 it just a pain.

Why they dropped fast previewing certain codec's from their own video format is very frustrating!

Especially the Animation Codec...It was ...and still is the best codec for animators and compositors in my humble opinion.

Maybe someone will sort a Automator flow or app to scan archives and reformat all unsupported files into a supported QT Pro format with alphas?

Quicktime preview in mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.