The update worked for me, both receiving emails as soon as they're sent without having to restart or click on get mail / synchronise AND mail status gets updated automatically when it's read or deleted on anoterh device. Happy that this works again, what a pain that was! I'm now only hoping that Apple at some point can fix their faulty conversations feature or just delete it..
I was thrilled to see the new update was working yesterday … and now it isn't
One other symptom, perhaps related? I tried to turn off "Save Drafts on server". Couldn't do it. I unchecked the box, saved, then return to the account and it remained checked. Several times.
Finally got it to "stay" unchecked with my Google Apps gmail after quitting and restarting but not my other GMail address.
Clearly still buggy.
Nope. My mistake. I don't think this was true in earlier versions of Mail but I'm not sure. I now have to go to GMail in my browser and explicitly turn off "Show in IMAP" for my Drafts label. After doing so, I can then turn it off successfully in Apple Mail.
Perhaps there's some other setting we need to explicitly make in the GMail settings via the browser that will solve the update issue?
I can comfirm that the problem still exists. I downloaded 10.9.1 and it doesn't fix the imap problem for non-gmail accounts for me. I spoke to my isp's tech support and they confirmed it is still an unresolved issue. I am using the email account as POP for now, so everything downloads; Apple Mail is a secondary application as the primary mail client is Windows Outlook (on Parallels), so it isn't critical, just annoying.
I have been working to resolve this for weeks. I sorted it out today. Here's my situation and what I did to resolve it.
Macbook Air Late 2011
Mavericks upgraded from Mountain Lion
Patched Current to December 20, 2013 (including Gmail patch)
Google Apps for Domains Account (Gmail on my own domain)
Google Dual Factor On so using app-specific passwords
1. IMAP was not syncing, e.g. changes, such as moving mail to folders on gmail via Safari, wouldn't change on Mail app on Macbook Air even though fine on iPhone and iPad. New issue since Mavericks.
2. Would connect to gmail temporarily. About every few hours to every few days I'd have to setup a new app-specific password to get it to logon
Tried many times, didn't work
- Removing and adding back account in Mail\Accounts
- Manual Syncs
- Changing gmail IMAP settings
Work finally worked
1. Opened Mail app
2. Removed my account (Mail\Accounts\Google)
3. Closed down mail app (I had to force quit it for some reason, not sure if this was just coincidence)
4. Opened Finder
5. Opened Library (Click Go, Click Go To Folders, Enter ~/Library, Click Go)
6. Made a copy of /Library/Mail to external hard drive; just in case!
7. Deleted Mail folder from /Library directory
8. Reopened Mail app
9. Added back my gmail acocunt (Mail\Accounts\Google)
10. Waited for it to download the 31,000 messages
11. Done! Didn't really expect it to work but it is working great now, right in sync... changes to folders propogate in a minute or two (or immediately upon refresh)... deletions show almost immediatley, read marks update. YES!
Use at your own risk but I was very frustrated and spent a few hours browsing forums, trying different things and one suggestion along the lines of the above (but not so explicitly described) caused me to try those steps. Here I am very happy to have this working again.
I'm experiencing the same symptom with 10.9.1, though quitting and relaunching Mail does not seem to work consistentily to update the inbox (enabling/disabling the account does however).
None of the solutions proposed above seem to have helped
- Enabling firewall, permiting mail and disabling again
- Enabling/disabling IMAP IDLE command
- Rebuilding the mailbox
- Opeing "Get account info"
- Remove Avast (wasn't installed)
- Remove Little Snitch (Wasn't installed)
- Removed Gmail SMTP server
I'll have to try jcvarapple's complete account recreation approach (which was posted while I wrote this) next.
My iOS devices and Postbox (to which I've switched for now) both seem to be working fine on the same network and with the same account details.