Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which side is the true "bottom" in landscape mode? Left or Right?

I for some reason cannot find this anywhere and if you're guessing please don't post.

I am writing an application for the iPad 2.

So I've noticed that when you rotate the screen you can have the home button north, south, east and west and if you're on the "desktop" it will rotate accordingly.

Try it.

For some reason however, there are some applications that do NOT rotate. They are fixed. I believe when I write this app mine may have the same behavior.

So obviously we know home button south is "true bottom" for portrait mode. what about landscape?

There's no home button to guide us. So is it the left or right side that should be at the bottom?

I am trying to find which side the home button is "supposed" to be facing. (east or west)

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 6:30 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Earnest Rutherford

Earnest Rutherford wrote:

So obviously we know home button south is "true bottom" for portrait mode. what about landscape?

Since the Apple covers and cases only attach one way because of needing to match the openings, the cover only opens one way, and you can support the tablet at an angle with the cover open, landscape mode would provide the natural position with the home button on the left.

Nov 13, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Earnest Rutherford

The landscape bottom can be either side. If you use an apple smart cover for instance the hinge on the cover would be on the left.

So when rolled up with the iPad angled slightly the right side of the iPad is the bottom.

But also with the cover rolled up and the iPad standing on the cover, which many do from time to time, the left side would be the bottom.

I would suggest you let users decide and allow your app to rotate.

Nov 13, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Ralph9430

That's the problem. I am not familiar enough to do that and the default is focused on "true bottom"

I wish I knew some apps off the top of my head that did this. I think pock RC plane or something like that is that way. If you have the left on the bottom it's upside down on the screen...

I know it ***** trust me. But knowing which one is the intended bottom by apple really helps a lot.

Simple question... HARD to find...

and WHY doesn't this discussion site have a freaking area for IOS>?!!?!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

I mean it has all the worthless 1989 OS versions for topic areas for mac.. WTH? As big a change as iOS 7 was and they don't have anything?!?!?! lame...

All they provided was "iOS Apps"

and frankly I think there should be "iOS for devices" in the same area... it's literally the ONE thing they left out and it's proabbly (at least to apple's revenue) the most important!!!

Steve you shouldn't have died so soon... your flock is wandering...

Anyhow thanks for this input. I was aware of what you mentioned as my post demonstrates.

I know you CAN have any edge facing the bottom. (hence my NSEW) but there is a "true" buttom for portrait (which we all know is home button down) and there is one for landscape but I honestly don't know which...

Can someone from apple step in ? Perhaps take my "iOS" addition to the suggestion box at work?

Thanks in advance.

Which side is the true "bottom" in landscape mode? Left or Right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.