Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete songs permanently without confirmation dialog

I usually clean my library deleting songs quickly from the general tracks list.

Before the itunes 11 mavericks uprade I was able to press DELETE and when the confirmation dialog asked me if I was sure, just pressed TAB to move the cursor from "mantain the file" to "trash" and then hit SPACE (not enter) to send the song to the bin permanently...

But now, after the update this seems not to work anymore. When I try to hit TAB it does not allow me to move right to the trash dialog button...

Is there a way to quicly shortcut delete a song without so many warnings? Or at least allow the TAB key to work again in this case???

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 7:05 AM

System prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

Tick All controls under Full Keyboard Access: IN windows & dialogs, press Tab to move keyboard focus between:

8 replies

Oct 30, 2016 1:29 PM in response to Chris CA

Correction: option + delete does not work for songs in a smart playlist. For non-smart playlists, it works.

One workaround is to drag copy the target songs from a smart playlist to a non-smart playlist, select the songs in the standard playlist and option + delete.

@Milo5Z There is usually not a warning when deleting small amounts of files this way, but a confirmation warning appears if a large amount of songs are deleted.

Oct 30, 2016 1:37 PM in response to gryphonent

gryphonent wrote:

No, it doesn't. In my iTunes library neither option - delete nor the menu item to delete a song from the library is working (the menu is "greyed out" and pressing option - delete does nothing).

You mean to delete from a smart playlist.

This seems to be removed from the latest version if iTunes.

In order to remove a song from a smart playlist, change the criteria of the playlist or delete the song from the library.

how to delete songs permanently without confirmation dialog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.